Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Somebody mentioned Midway has .35 200gr Power Points in stock. Looked at the 35 Rem PP 200gr, factory, it is a round nose. Looked at the 200gr factory 356 PP, a total flat point. Also the shape of the ogive is different. The one on Midway seems to be a flat point, 356 bullet. I don't know if there are other differences, without cutting and testing. See pic below. 35 on right, 356 on left. Both should feed in a 35 Rem. Both are .358.

161.JPG

Reactions: CWT

·
Registered
202 Posts
Couple of points to bring up.

1. If the Winchester bullets Midway has are what they use in .356 Winchester ammo; the canalure for crimping may be in a different location, and may or may not work for the .35 Remington.

2. If they are meant for the .356, the bullets may be designed a bit tougher so they might not open easily at longer ranges if fired from a .35 Rem. The Hornady 200 grain RN are supposed to be a bit tough for the .35 Rem at longer ranges.

I don't know for sure, I have never been around a .356 Winchester, and I use cast bullets (the RCBS 35-200-FN) in my .35 Remington.

Good Luck,

Robert

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good question on the canalure location, so it got measured. The distance from the tip of 200gr FP to the canalure is .02 inches less than the 200gr RN. Crimped at the top of the canalure, the FP should have a shorter COL, given the width of the canalure, it should be possible to achieve the same COL as a 200RN PP loaded at the top of its canalure.

As I indicated, other than the ogive, I don't know if the bullet is otherwise any different, as say in toughness. I do like that you said the 200gr Hornady is supposed to be tougher. The phrase "supposed to be" indicates you have not confirmed this through personal use on game. The amount of people on the web, that state bullet performance as absolute known fact, based on what a reloading manual or other source says, when they have no personal on game experience with the actual bullet, is a wonderment to me. There are more than a few bullets out their that behave a bit differently on game from what is advertised, or what internet legend says it is, and arm chair hunters don't know the difference.

My 356 bullet for target and hunting is a home cast 250gr lead SEACO flatpoint with gas check.

·
Registered
202 Posts
0.020" shorter should work fine, 0.020" longer might not, in some rifles. Thanks for checking, I wasn't clear if you had the bullets in hand or not.

You are right, I was repeating what I had read in that the Hornady is supposed to be tougher than the .35 Remington wants at 200 yards. Unfortunately the only deer I have personally shot with a .35 caliber rifle were shot with 200 gr PSP factory loads from my .35 Whelen. I must say the deer were suitably impressed with those.

I used the Hornady's in my first .35 Rem 336CS in front of a full charge of H335, and would have zero problems using them on deer. The guy that owned my 336A and loaded for it had several boxes of the 200 gr Hornady RN along with a few cans of IMR-4198. I do not think he would have kept using them if they didn't kill his deer every year. I never met the man, it was an estate auction, so I can't ask him to make sure.

I haven't felt like going deer hunting for the past few years and have only shooting targets, which I can kill paper with less powerful rounds so my .35's have been languishing in the safe. Maybe I better try them this summer, just in case I feel like going hunting this fall. Some nice tender steaks from a young deer sound awfully tasty right now.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Due to relatively poor choices in bullet design, the Hornady both expands quicker than most other 200 RN's at close range, and expands less than other 200 RN's at long range. And no, that's not contradictory.

Said by a guy who's extensively tested the lot, and on game as well.

The Winchester Power Point in 200 grain factory persuasion is a good bullet, but on occasion comes unraveled at the cannelure if it is too deeply rolled, as it sometimes is. It is a stress point for the bullet to fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts