Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I fitted a 2-7x33 Revolution Redfield scope to my 336 in an attempt to prove the previously fitted scope to be the culprit in how the rifle shoots...6" plus at 100 off sandbags.

I went with the Redfield as its one of the more common scopes i see fitted to or recommended on here for the 336....however when i tried to fit it with the weaver low rings i have, i found that the adjustment housing in the middle of the scope and the magnification adjustment ring fouled the weaver rail (63B)....is this a common issue? I have had a trawl through the old posts on here and can't find a reference to it happening.

After finding that things interfered i used a die-grinder and files to clearance where stuff touched until i can freely turn the magnification adjuster and can see light through under the center housing on the scope with the rings locked down.

Just kinda curious whether this is a known thing or i have used the wrong rings or something (the rings i have are weaver 1" low topmount SS)

Cheers
Callum

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I have used Weaver low height rings before with the Redfield Revolution and had no problems.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I dislike those rings. The aluminum base is butter soft and easily damaged or stripped. The screws also love to rust the second a screwdriver puts the slightest scratch in them. And, of course, any bur in the strap will scratch the scope.

When I use Weaver rings, I use the Grand Slam series. I have used both low and medium height, with a Redfield Revolution 2-7x, without issue. However, I do not recall which was used in combination with a standard 336 rail, and which was used with an RPP Rhino rail (original and BUIS version).

I believe the standard Weaver 'low' rings sit just a bit lower than the Grand Slam 'low'.

What base/rail are you using?

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay on the pics....i had to wait till the kids were in bed or my 2 1/2 year old would want to "help"....(and who cares what this thing is, it has SCREWS and we know exactly what to do with screws)

As you can see i had to file it down in the middle and use a die grinder to scallop out the rear end to clear the zoom ring....everything clears now.

IMG_1628.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
That right there is one of the reasons why I hate the 2-slot bases so much:

The rings are stuck in whatever position the slots were cut, which ... more often than not ... doesn't work with whatever scope one is trying to mount.
And, while I do prefer a once-piece base on Marlins, the extra slot is one of the benefits of the Warne bases.

Also... Your serial number is visible.

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Sorry for the delay on the pics....i had to wait till the kids were in bed or my 2 1/2 year old would want to "help"....(and who cares what this thing is, it has SCREWS and we know exactly what to do with screws)

As you can see i had to file it down in the middle and use a die grinder to scallop out the rear end to clear the zoom ring....everything clears now.

View attachment 777651 View attachment 777653 View attachment 777655 View attachment 777657 View attachment 777659 View attachment 777661
I have had to do the same thing with the Weaver low rings and several different scopes.It works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curios,
Why did you go to the trouble of filing on the base?
They do make medium rings.
I wanted the scope as low as i can get it to replicate as close as possible the eyeline the stock is designed for to use the original open sights......tried medium height rings on it at my favorite gun shop with the previous scope and it didn't line right for snap shooting but low rings allowed me to snap the rifle to the shoulder and have a full clear field of view through the scope...the Redfield on it now also lines up properly....about half the places i hunt are bush stalking in dense bush with about half my shots being snapshots so i kinds need to have it setup right

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wanted the scope as low as i can get it to replicate as close as possible the eyeline the stock is designed for to use the original open sights......tried medium height rings on it at my favorite gun shop with the previous scope and it didn't line right for snap shooting but low rings allowed me to snap the rifle to the shoulder and have a full clear field of view through the scope...the Redfield on it now also lines up properly....about half the places i hunt are bush stalking in dense bush with about half my shots being snapshots so i kinds need to have it setup right
That makes good sense :top:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts