Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Communications on my end a bit spotty, but here's a pic of my very first Cape Buffalo. He was about 12 years old, hard-bossed, and has an outside spread of 42 inches. He was a completely wild, free-range animal, and shot on the Chifunda Game Management area in northeast Zambia. With me, is my PH's apprentice Jeff.

Vertebrate Wildebeest Horn Water buffalo Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks! The generator is running in camp, now, so I have Wi-Fi for a while.

I'm using a switch-barrel, straight throw bolt action Blaser R93 in .375 H&H Magnum. It really likes the Barnes Vor-Tx ammo with the 300 grain TSX FB bullet. After lunch, I'll be trying for another buff that's even better.

I've been dreaming of going on an African safari for more than 50 years, and living in a thatch hut next to the Luangwa River while hunting big game is about as wild as I can make it. If there's any interest, I can post more photos of animals as they're collected and write brief report after I get back home in 13 days or so.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Congratulations! You sir are living a fantasy of mine since 8th or 9th grade, that was 52 years ago....ain’t look’n so good for my “buff”! I’ll live vicariously through yours! memtb

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
More Africa Pics

In for lunch, now, and have the generator on (and so, Wi-fi) for another hour. Here are some other animals collected since the buffalo:
Antelope Trophy hunting Hunting Wildlife biologist Safari

Impala, about 20 inches (they're smaller here) tagged by a heart shot at 70 yards.

Zebra Vertebrate Mammal Wildlife Terrestrial animal

Zebra, shot a bit low and forward at 110 yards, then finished with one to the lungs. Tough animals and not so numerous here as other parts of Africa.

Kudu Trophy hunting Antelope Horn Wildlife

A greater Kudu. This one is 53 inches with deep curls, and people looking only at the photo have guessed him to be close to 60 inches, which is okay by me. He was taken cleanly at 70 yards with one shot to the heart.

Trophy hunting Hunting Wildlife biologist Deer hunting Antelope

I took this bushbuck later the same day as the kudu. He too, like the zebra, was shot a touch low and forward. Range was 110 yards. After a brief, follow-up, he was finished with a shot to the lungs. He was an old boy and measured 14 inches, which is a good sized specimen in these parts.

Wildebeest Safari Trophy hunting Terrestrial animal Horn

I collected this Cookson's Wildebeest a couple of hours ago. They are found only in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia, but are not considered a threatened species. He has a spread of 27 inches, and my PH says, he too, was an old boy not long for this world. He was taken at 160 yards with one shot through the heart.

After this afternoon's siesta from the heat, we'll be after three Cape buffalo "dagga boys" we tracked earlier this morning.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.