Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to seek out some expertise on a model 39 AWL I recently purchased.

The barrel is stamped as an "AWL" model and is a half octagon, half round barrel with "Wildlife for Tomorrow" written across the one of the flats of the octagon. From what I've read, these AWL model 39s were a limited run of 2000 rifles made for Walmart back in 1997. In addition to the half octagon/ half round barrel, the AWL featured a checkered pistol grip stock and a fully engraved receiver. The rifle I have has an AWL barrel on it, but going by the serial number and lack of cross bolt safety, I believe the receiver was manufactured in 1971. It also has a newer pistol grip stock with checkering, similar to other AWL models I've seen online. Anyone have any idea as to how this rifle came to be?

I had heard that when remington took over, they were assembling the model 39 out of leftover parts from marlin- could it be that this is a remlin product? I cant imagine that post 1983, remington or marlin would have released a production gun for sale without the crossbolt safety feature though. Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.29.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.29.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.30.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.28.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.28.34 AM.png

·
Super Moderator
16,359 Posts
Someone put that barrel on an earlier receiver would be my guess... Maybe the wood too...

MODEL 39AWL
Special model made exclusively for Wal-Mart, supporting the Wildlife Management Institution and Wildlife Forever, features similar to Marlin 1897CL CLassic, 24 in. half-round, half-octagon barrel, half mag., checkered black American walnut pistol grip stock, adj. semi-buckhorn rear sight, engraved receiver with scroll and "Wildlife for Tomorrow" and "Sportsmen Supporting Conservation". 2,000 mfg. 1997 only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. I appologize for the double post- I submitted two posts as I thought my original didnt go through.

So this may be a rifle that was sent back to the factory for rebarreling and new wood? Just seems strange to me that marlin would have put this barrel on it rather than the standard barrel. Also seems strange that someone would have sent it back to replace basically every part except for the receiver.

I ended up paying $580 for it on GB, which seemed fair as condition is excellent and I had seen others in poorer condition going for $600+. Ultimately, I was looking for a nice 39 for plinking and squirrel hunting and something that would hold some value in case I decide to sell it down the road - I know being rebarreled makes it no longer worth anything to collectors but I hope I didnt take a bath on this one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is a nice looking 39. I believe the trigger should be gold on a 1971.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They always have the gold on the sides,I will have one of these.Had to buy a dam utility trailer yesterday.7 x 14 $2,200.00 If not for that,I would have had one real soon.LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, thanks for pointing that out- other 1971 marlin 39a's on google appear to have a gold trigger except for the article IIs.

Upon closer examination, I'm thinking the sights are not the originals either. Its got a brass bead front and a basic rear. Stock also has the rubber butt pad and checkering that you see on newer marlins.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.57.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.58.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.57.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.28.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.28.21 AM.png

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,359 Posts
Not that this is a bad thing, as long as it shoots and functions well, but this looks like what some call a frankenrifle... Put together with parts from other rifles...

·
Super Moderator
16,359 Posts
That barrel was designed for a shorter mag tube. Look where the hanger is compared to the end cap. It should be the same length as the ones in bandit1250's photo...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My 2 cents...Someone had a '71 and put the AWL barrel on it. That would explain the long mag tube with a short hanger. Then to accommodate the octagon barrel they needed to put on a new forearm which would explain the checkered wood. The wood appears to be newer production and would explain the fit being not quite as tight as most of the '71's I've seen. The black trigger could as so be '71. As mentioned the Article II's have black triggers as do the 39D's and the 1973 39 Octagons.

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
Well it looks pretty and is one of a kind for sure. If it works and shoots well I think it is worth the $600.00 most days.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think it looks good but I'd be careful with the mag tube. It might be easy to bend the way it hangs out to the end of the barrel.
I'd say you did well.

·
Registered
834 Posts
One of the gun parts warehouses had those barrels for sale really reasonably. I bought one and replaced the barrel on my 1892 with it, now it is usable, and pretty accurate.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts