Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help..

Here's a question from a "newbie" to those Marlin 39A folks who might know.

I bought my first Marlin recently, and it's a 1996 39A Original Golden.. I bought the rifle at a gun show, and it "appeared" as new.. I really don't think many rounds have been run thru it.

I am overwhelmed at the accuracy of this 39A, but the "slickness", or "smoothness" of the action leaves something to be desired.

I have read where "newer" 39A's are often not very smooth early on, but most eventually smooth out with use.

After reading suggestions on other rimfire forums it seems another potential trouble area might be in the extractor, as I've read the newer ones are not as good as the older ones.

So, I bought a new Wisner extractor.. In the meantime however it "seems" the action is slowly getting better, and my instinct, especially since it's so darn accurate is to just leave well enough alone.

I understand the extractor does not make the action any "smoother", but if I had a gun smith work on the action of my 39A should I replace the factory extractor with the "supposedly better" Wisner?

Or, I guess my question is,

Is it "worthwhile" to have a gun smith replace the factory extractor with the Wisner, and at the same time "smooth out" the action?

Does that make sense?

I'm not a gun smith and I do not intend to screw with it myself, but I don't mind paying a local gun smith to work on it IF I think the results will be worth the expense.

I didn't have another lever action rifle to compare the action of my 39A with until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a like new Model 70 Century Limited rifle.

The action of the Century Limited is slickner'n snot... ;D

(Or for those delicate members of this esteemed crowd you might say, the action of the Century Limited is "slicker than ___________ put your preferred word here.)

Thanks!

jesse

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to Marlin Owners. To answer your questions. "Is it "worthwhile" to have a gun smith replace the factory extractor with the Wisner, and at the same time "smooth out" the action?

The short answer is NO. What you are asking is for "bragging rights" and does not make the gun any more accurate and probably no more reliable. Most of the weak parts in a Marlin are caused by people who want to sell you more parts. Marketing hype is a powerful thing designed to sow seed of doubt in the owners mind and, therefore, make him think that he "needs" the item of interest. Hang on to the new extractor until the original extractor breaks and then replace it.
Clean the action squeaky clean and apply a good gun lubricant. "Smoothing the action" is wearing out the action. It will wear loose soon enough there is no reason to help it along.

Enjoy your 39

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JBledsoe Clean the action squeaky clean and apply a good gun lubricant. "Smoothing the action" is wearing out the action. It will wear loose soon enough there is no reason to help it along. [/quote said:
Hi JB:

Thanks for taking the time to offer me what I consider a good suggestion regarding my questions about the "action" of my 1996 39A.

As I mentioned earlier, my 39A is absolutely the most accurate rimfire rifle I've ever owned (over a period of roughly 56 years), and I'm more than pleased with it.

It won't hurt the new Wisner extractor to stay stored, and I'll always have one available if needed down the road. I hope to buy another 39A or Century Limited when I can run up on one at a price I can afford, and having a spare extractor is not a bad thing. :)

My favorite autoloader is the Browning SA22 (ATD), and I've got a couple of those now, and my favorite lever action rimfire is of course ANY of the Marlin 39 series...

My wife's favorite rimfire rifle is her Stevens Favorite (Centennial model 71), so I'd say the Pomeroy household is well equipped with 22 cal rifles..

(Oh yeah, and I inherited a pristine Remington 552 from my MIL last month..)

Crap, I need to go buy some more 22cal ammo.. I've only got a few thousand rounds stashed..

Thanks Again, I'm taking your advice.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. My favorite lubricant is EEZOX, familiar with it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome Jesse!
Have you taken the rifle apart and cleaned it? That's a good place to start. You can also check how tight the takedown screw is, my '98 likes to be just past snug-any tighter and she starts to bind a little. Check the obvious first, and give it some rounds to settle in and it'll smooth out.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Radar 1 said:
Welcome Jesse!
Have you taken the rifle apart and cleaned it? That's a good place to start. You can also check how tight the takedown screw is, my '98 likes to be just past snug-any tighter and she starts to bind a little. Check the obvious first, and give it some rounds to settle in and it'll smooth out.
Best of luck!

Hi Radar:

No, I haven't taken it apart yet... I need to do that, but it "looks" like new, and I just don't think many rounds have been fired thru it.

But, I need to learn how to disassemble it anyway, so I'll try to do that. I appreciate the tip too about the takedown screw.

I also have the Model 70 too, (Century Limited) and since it's over 40 yrs old it might not mind a cleaning also.

Thanks!

Jesse

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

New guns need cleaning, not from being fired but to remove all foreign matter from the manufacturing process.

The 39 are very accurate. My 39 had shot some amazing groups and likes Winchester Expert and CCI Mini-Mag ammo a little better than others. I include a pic of a group that mine shot last fall. It's just under 3 inches, not that great? Wait, that's at 300 yards. ;D

Enjoy your 39s

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts