Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm rather confused. I have had this model 60sp for a few years now, I picked it up in a trade. Needless to say I wasn't in the market at the time as I had a brand new 10/22 that I thought I loved. Sold the 10/22 shortly after and have been in love with the marlin. I just recently decided to do a little research to see what I had. It has a 'American Heritage 1991' medallion on the side. I have not seen another around. All the ones I find around the web are from 1992. This one also has a 22" barrel and a 18 round full length tube. All my research has told me that they stopped making the 18 round tube models in the 80's. Any one have any idea if this is an odd variant or if I'm just out of the loop. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Other details I'm not sure are relevant but according the the serial 10,516,xxx it was actually made in 1990(though medallion on side of stock says 91).

Edit: also has last round bolt hold open, micro groove barrel.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
From my poking around, it is a 'limited edition' production run, and not some oddball somebody put together so to say. No expert on the matter, or how it relates to the value of your rifle, but have seen articles/videos that show the older 18 round tubed magazine rifles are more sought after by some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my poking around, it is a 'limited edition' production run, and not some oddball somebody put together so to say. No expert on the matter, or how it relates to the value of your rifle, but have seen articles/videos that show the older 18 round tubed magazine rifles are more sought after by some.
My research shows the 18 round rifles are more sought after as well. What has me really stumped is that ALL my research also says that they stopped making them in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My 60 was made in 1990 and it has the last shot hold open. 22 inch barrel and 18 round mag. I believe this configuration was made app. 85 to 90.

From what I have taken from research is that some States (commie ones), outlawed the higher capacity so they chose to lower the cap size to still accomadate shooters in those States and not lose sales. It is too bad that one States stupidity can effect other sane ones..

Yep, subtract the first two numbers of the serial number from 2000 and that gives you a made year of 1990. Yours is only made a very short time after mine..

I am sure someone else will chime in though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My neighbor had an '89 with the 18 round magazine. Either the change came later than reported in wiki, et al, or it was phased in, possibly with guns shipped to affected states sporting the shorter mag before it became universal.
I tried to search for when the New Jersey magazine limit went into effect, but came up with nothing. All hits were regarding the more recent push to limit capacity to 10 rounds.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Research sez the magazine's were changed in the late 80s to comply with NJ's new law so my thinking is the Limited Edition models were most likely commisioned before the change so they manufactured them as commisioned and didn't sell them in NJ. MHO. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
New Jersey, where you can't be trusted to have more than ten bullets or pump your own gasoline.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
When we were kids we used to ride our bikes over the pneumatic hose that rang the bell for the attendant to pump your gas. They would come out and yell at us as we rode off laughing. When I first started driving, it was full serve everywhere. Check your oil, wash your windshield. A few years later came "self serve" with a discount, which we always opted for to save pennies and our male pride. We thought full serve was for old ladies.

Reactions: Loosemarbles
1 - 11 of 11 Posts