Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just joined & was hoping someone could help me with the value of a Marlin 336CS chambered in 35 Remington that was made in 1984. I am looking at one that has some bluing wear & scratches/dents on the wood. I plan to use this for hunting since it is already has been used in the field. This will possibly be my 4th Marlin in my arsenal. Have loved Marlin lever actions since I bought my first one in 2008.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Revolver Gun barrel

Here is a photo of the damaged bluing on the top of the barrel near the front sight. I'm guessing the previous owner was not real careful with resting the gun in their cabinet or tree stand.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
OP,
In my area, a 336 in .35 Rem with no serious damage, will be worth about $350. When I say no serious damage, I mean no cracks in the wood, deep scratches in the metal or pitting of the bore.
If your rifle only has some minor bluing wear, such as what's shown, and a few dings in the wood, I would think it fetch $350 or better.
I picked up an excellent condition 1969 .336 .35 Rem, for $385 a couple of years ago.
It really does depend on the area of the country. This caliber is much more popular out east.
Andrew

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
970 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Prices vary depending on location. The .35 Remingtons seem to run on the higher side in my area. Even with that condition it would probably be around $500 locally. I'm beginning to think there's some .35 Rem club in Eastern Missouri that I'm missing out on.

$500 is what I paid for my 1983 in what I consider hunting condition but it didn't have that much buying wear but does have some of the dings/dents/scratches characteristic of having significant time in the woods. In my hands its the second most accurate rifle I own and the only one I can beat it with is my .35 Rem 336A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Western Wisconsin & recently bought a 35 Rem for $417 out the door. It was made in 1990 & is in pristine condition. I'm guessing the rifle was shot a few times & kept in a gun cabinet. It still has the stock Marlin sticker on the forehand. I love the gun, but I can't bring myself to take it in the woods. I was thinking this other rifle would be worth $300-350 out the door.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I rarely see a JM Marlin for sale for less than $375. Most of the 336's seem to be posted for $450. I think that they are selling for $400
This is about the same thing I find around so.NH. Decent shape 336's about 400 or so. I know where there are two 35 rems in a shop now that have been there for months, both in nice shape and tagged at 450 each. They'll probably move them when hunting season comes around but for now they are collecting dust.

·
Read Only
488 Posts
Bshiller; I just came from a pawn shop in NW AR around 12:30PM on 8/4/2018 where I saw a model 336 RC in 35 REM. priced at $350. The serial number shows it to be a 1966 model (letter prefix AB + five digits)

Don't use this price to judge all, because this gun is in less than pristine condition. It has been camo painted (both metal and wood). The condition isn't rough, but there's probably little or no bluing under the paint. The camo paint job isn't bad, but not great either. Mostly black & dark green, so it's not a fancy dip pattern or anything close to that.

There is a chip out of the stock on the top right of the top tang where the stock meets the receiver. Not a large chip, but a little less than the size of my little fingernail. No other evidence of wood damage or cracking.

There are are a few spots in the bore that definitely are not shiny, but they appear to be surface buildup of crud and not pitting.

Maybe that gives you another point of reference for one in 5 or 6 out of 10 condition.. I'm going to see if I can get it for $300 or less. May also do some trading.

Edit; went back to look at the gun. The stock is actually cracked from the opening of the top tang toward the butt about 4". Putting twist pressure on the stock at the butt causes the crack to open slightly. I'd put the value of this one more like $285. Not likely the pawn shop owner will agree.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.