Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was admiring my 1980,336,30-30 and noticed that before the lever is in the fully "closed" position (depressing the little steel finger sticking down) I noticed it would still drop the hammer. I thought that the rifle wouldn't fire until that steel finger (for lack of a better term) was depressed as a safety feature. My other 336 will not fire until the lever is fully closed against the stock. Is there any wrong/dysfunctional with the 1980,336 ??

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It may be in need of a good cleaning and that safety feature is stuck or blocked from dropping down far enough.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
papa, that was the ticket,thank you. I was surprised because the rifle has only about 100 rounds through it -who woulda thunk !!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Yes, but time flies when you are having fun. 1980 doesn't seem that long ago, but that is thirty four years for the factory grease to harden. I recently bought a forty year old S&W hand gun, that may have never been fired, dirt cheap because it was very difficult to even open and close. A good clean out of the hardened lube made it like new.

Enjoy your rifle,

Reactions: buckweet
1 - 5 of 5 Posts