Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice 336 this weekend. the serial number indicates it was made in 1979. The walnut stock does not have the "bullseye" in the stock near the rear swivel stud. Did the 336s not have bullseye, or did they omit them for a time? image.jpg

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The 79's did have the bullseye. But on your rifle, someone removed it or drilled through it to install a sling stud.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The "proper" position for the rear sling stud is about 1 1/2" behind the bullseye. This can be fixed without too much trouble as long as the original bullseye hole isn't enlarged too much.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of that but I bet you are right. I'll measure the location of the rear sling swivel this evening to see if it where the bullseye should be. Midway has the bullseyes and I'll get one with the next order from them. I'll refinish eventually and install it at the same time.

The finish is very shiny. It looks like someone added a coat or two of true oil at some point. How shiny was the finish originally?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
By that time, they were using synthetic finishes, but the original finish wasn't shiny to the point of being a mirror finish, a la a Browning. Looking at your pic, yours could be a factory finish, but tough to tell from pics, sometimes. Not at all uncommon for Marlins of that age to have been refinished once or twice, though. On tip off on a refinish is typically finish crusted on the white spacers and pistol grip caps. No big deal, unless you're holding out for an all original factory Marlin. Me, I enjoy buying old JM Marlins that are a bit rough and then refinishing them, anyway. Lots of fun. That's a nice 336, by the way. I would have had a hard time passing it by if I saw it on a gun rack, but then, I'm addicted to Marlins, like most of us, here.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I agree that it looks to me from the picture that the rear sling stud has been installed into the original Marlin bullseye. Though not recommended to do, this is fairly common to find from those that don't want to drill into the stock, or may even think that is what the bullseye is for in error.
Nice rifle, and I actually prefer rifles from that time frame with smooth stocks, gold triggers, etc. Enjoy....

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I had to get a replacement bulls eye a while back and had to sand it down some to fit the hole. As long as they didn't make the hole a lot bigger a bullseye should still fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine was made in '79, too. Has bullseye and lighter stock. Wonder if it was refinished. Also slings are set differently than yours, more toward the ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts