Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 vintage Winchester 9422 "XTR" with catalog (pics)...

Part of the fun of collecting firearms is getting the accessories and literature that goes with them. I got this Winchester Model 9422 "XTR" a couple of years ago, a beautiful rifle that shoots like a dream. The rifle every kid wanted when they were growing up but couldn't afford. The serial number puts it in the first year the "XTR" models were introduced, 1978. The XTR's had a glossy stock, highly polished metal, a fancier model. I recently picked up a 1978 Winchester catalog, which introduced the XTR models. Here's some pics....

Rifle with the pup Geraldine playing in the background:

1978 catalog cover:

Introducing the 9422 "XTR":

I have heard that the 9422 mechanism has a lot in common with the Model 61 pump action rifle, is that true, Winchester fans?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Re: 1978 vintage Winchester 9422 "XTR" with catalog (pics)...

wow--that does bring back memories. Dad and I bought our levers on the same day in 76. I got a 9422 and he got a 336. Fun times! Shortly thereafter, I was able to buy a 870. This all with my own money. Dad made me wait till I was 14 to buy firearms. I had bb guns, and bows.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts

Great finding, great gun, great pictures, thanks for showing them.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

Canoeguy and Dr. A, I have to ask..........how are the triggers on your 9422's? I shoot with a guy who has one, and he gripes about the trigger every time he shoots it, and swears if it had a decent trigger he could cut group size in half. Did he just get a bad one, or are they all heavy?

I bought a Winchester 290 back in 1979, and while the trigger wasn't awful it wasn't very good, but I got used to it, and made some credible shots with it at long range. Winchester was in one of their Cheap Phases back then, with a lot of stamped parts and crude machining. I beat that gun to death in pretty short order when I found a deal on CCI Stingers, by the time I'd burned through 5,000 of them, the bolt was deformed and the firing pin was toast. :p

·
Registered
2,457 Posts

I've got a 9422 also, it's a real shooter! the trigger is nice, nothing to complain about, I like it even better than my 39A. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Papajohn,

I like the trigger on my 9422, it is an all around great shooting, smooth cycling, accurate rifle. The only problem I have is it is in so nice condition, and so expensive to replace, I don't take it out and shoot it as near as often as I like. The kids don't get to shoot it either, they get to shoot the Henry...

Of all the .22 lever carbines I've had, the only one that had a bad trigger was the Browning BL-22. there's a whole lot happening with the trrgger following the lever on that rifle, made for about an eight pound trigger.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

PJ, The trigger on mine is good!

Canoeguy, I have the same Winchester catalog but the front cover has long been worn off of mine. I picked the catalog up at our local Otasco store back in 78 as a kid and drooled over it for many months. I was cleaning out some cabinets a couple of months ago and pulled it out a drooled over it again as I went down memory lane ;)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts