Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Promised I am putting up some pics of my 336 marlin made in 77 JM marked that I wanted cut down for a handier size, I was Inspired by The Marauder threads, and all the others I had seen on here. I Like the pistol grip so I kept it but I may do another 336 as a strait grip 35 Rem, but that's another story !!!!

I used a hack saw to cut 3 inch's off the barrel, and a tube cutter for the mag tube, snipped 3 inch's off the spring. Filled it square then used a Lee case length gage and a cleaning rod screwed into it with a bit of aquarium air hose that I split and put around the rod with some heat shrink tubing over that to get it just the right fit inside the barrel, for the recessed cut, then a brass bolt and some fine grit abrasive to finish up the crown. A member of this forum sent me the dove tail jig to get the sight slot cut, I got the Skinner guide gun sight set and I am very happy with them. Then with a bit of grinding got the barrel band right were I liked it, I used the old mag tube as a jig for drilling out the new hole for the mag plug screw, and then it was just putting it all back together. I also frgot that I like the short look of the forearm so I cut that down to just a bit over 1/4 inch past the band. so here are the pics.

Darrel

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Beautiful job. I also am not sure how you got your crown with just a brass screw.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Fine looking job cutshurt! Kudos

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Good job. I always wanted to make one around 14 inch but them nasty feds just don't like that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Beautiful job. I also am not sure how you got your crown with just a brass screw.
Mine was done with a brass screw as seen in pic. All you do is put big brass screw/bolt in a drill, apply lapping compound and go at it. I want to know how he recessed it so nice :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
cutshurt, first welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Now down to business, nice work on your Marlin, very nice. You did not use any machine tools like a lathe but youu sure got the job done well. I like the way you thought the whole process out and got the job done. The hacksaw job was standard and the file job was standard, but the way you did the recessed crown was pure machinist thinking, a genius job if ever. Thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully Erik (Eli Chaps) or Swany might get this put into the gunsmith's section of the forum. I never thought doing a recessed crown that way, but now I have that in my bag of tricks. Thanks for the idea. Take care, John.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice job!

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
VERY nice introduction. You are a craftsman with ingenuity. Gun is very nice indeed. Are you a machinist, or an engineer? If not, consider the trades. Welcome aboard mate. AC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wow thanks every one, I am a full time Blacksmith, knives, tomahawks, flint and steels .... I don't work with horses !! lol I think the hardiest thing to do (besides working up the guts to cut into a perfectly good rifle) was getting the barrel band ground out so it was a snug fit on the barrel but a just barely sliding fit on the mag tube. I made the filler for the rear sight dovetail, from a rear sight base that had broken on an older gun I had.

Darrel

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Very nice work, I have a project I am doing and will use some of your ideas. thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing! Now I can do a recessed crown with out a two week stay at LGS. Again great job. I love this forum.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Quality work! :congrats:And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Cutshurt, great job! Thank you for sharing the "how to do it" on your work, sure added to the knowledge of our forum. Welcome to Marlin Owners from Montana and if you do the 35 rem, be sure to keep us informed on your work. I haven't worked up the courage to chop a barrel, I get the shakes when a hacksaw gets to close to my hands.:vollkommenauf: DP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts