Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found a 35 rem. I believe it's a 1977 if i ran the #s correctly. It has some wear, but mostly on the stock and locks up nice and tight. It has see through rings which i'm not sure i like as i have to position my head too high on the stock. I have no idea what the scope is, but is 4x32 with a post that dissects one crosshair. I'd really like to refinish the walnut stock as i think it would make this gun stand out. Photo's are the sellers as i can never get mine to download.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle!!!

If it were me, I would scale the see-thrus!!!

I like the stock and would keep it original!!! Just my opinion anyways..
Protect it with the birchwood-casey gunstock wax!!!

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Wow, get rid of those awful see-through mounts! Put on a good scope mounted low, and then go shooting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, rings need to go. Scope is kind of cool, but probably an el cheapo from 70s.

Halwg, didn't you refinish a 70s stock? How did it turn out?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Nice looking rifle bh04. The wood looks really good in your picture but that's your call on whether to refinish or not. I'd try that scope out before taking it off as I have found some of the older scopes are pretty dependable and hold up well. Eli Chaps has done several refinish jobs as has many of our members. You might do a search for it.

bjm

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Ya know, I have no clue as to why folks mount scopes on paper towel holders ;D

Nice look'n .35 you got there.. :)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Nice rifle! I love those 60's and 70's 336's!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Good looking rifle... I have one from 1981 I think, I'll have to check the s/n.
I love that vintage 336 :)

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Nice looking 35 Rem.. Had one just like it, it was the first Marlin I ever owned. Put a WW trigger on it. It also came with see-thru rings. Couldn't wait to get them off and put a Skinner sight on it. Ended up selling it to a friend after I bought 2-336A's, an RC and an XLR all in 35 Rem.. Now all my Marlins have Ballard rifling. My 336C like yours liked Rem. Core-locs better than Leverevolution. Good luck with your fine rifle and your new case of Marlinitis.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I've gotta echo the sentiments of the other guys. 86 those God awful see-thrus post haste. Replace them with a Weaver style base and Weaver Quad-Lock rings. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
SAAAAWWWEEEEETTTTT! Love rifle! I just this year got a '52 336 in .35rem. I opted for the Williams FP peeper sight.

Thanks for not making e'ry one beg for pics!

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Beautiful gun--nice catch--not sure but the scope looks like an older Redfield to me which would/should be very nice.

Yep--dress her up with new mounts/bases then she'll look proud.

Steve

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I found a really nice (metal) Texan a couple of years ago that a previous owner had refinished the stock. He did a nice job but it is just too shiny. One of these days I'm going to tale some fine steel wool to it and see if i can back it off just a bit. Would have preferred the original finish, but the price was too good to quibble over the gloss. Have fun, jack

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Realy like the older .35s My next project is a "Z" numbered .35 that had set in a shed for 20 years. The metal is 80% the stock is in need of refinishing. I will refinish the stock this summer plain to doing a tung oil finish on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't find a name on the scope, but it does say "universal" on one side. It fits the description of an older Weaver K4 model with the post barely disecting the crosshair, but i'm guessing a Weaver would say "Weaver". Who knows. I like the idea of a vintage scope on this rifle and hope it holds up. Gun will be a fun project and will never leave my hands other than to my son. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
bowhntr04, Looks like the scope is an older Redfield. Has their eyepiece look to it anyway. Have an older Bushnell Scopechief with the command post reticle. Turn the eyepiece dial and it goes from fine cross hairs to a BLACK post that pops up intersecting the horizontal hair. If
there was a better scope for fast shooting on running game, I don't know of it. Used to have mine on my .358 Win pump and loved it. Just put
the tip of the post where you want the bullet to go and get out your gutting knife. Scopechief scopes when this one was made was their top of
line and made by Bausch & Lomb. Optics are as clear and bright as anything I own and I own quite a few expensive scopes. I have it over 30
years and it was used when I bought it.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I have a 1.5 - 4.5 X 20 Scopechief on my 8mm-06 Mauser carbine, and it is a terrific little scope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts