Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but have been lurking for about a week now. I traded for a 1977 Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. It has been bubba'd some but I wanted it anyway. Looks as if the action jammed closed at one time and bubba used a screw driver on the front of the bolt to pry it open. Action was rough but have read all the posts on jamming and tuning. I have done as much as I can to smooth it without doing a complete take down. It is pretty smooth now with two exceptions.

1. Still a hitch as the bolt rides over the ejector. Given the old style ejector design I may have to just live with that one.

2. When clambering a round the cartridge does not rise high enough to seat on the bolt face until the round has enter the chamber. The extractor then functions normally. I have worked with the extractor but even with the extractor removed the round does not lift high enough to engage the bolt face until the round body has entered the chamber. Suggestions of what to try next? I thought I would do a complete disassembly and look at the carrier but the tang screw will only go about a quarter and I don't want to make it match the rest of the bubba'd screws. Any ideas on getting it to loosen? I have the right bits.

I have noticed that the bottom of the carrier as viewed from the bottom with the lever removed does have a couple of grooves that have formed, but they are about an inch forward of the ramp and I have no jamming issues except occasionally with SWCs. Thoughts about the carrier?

The plan is for this to be my go to gun for hunting and fun. Once I get it running smooth then I will work up some loads and shoot it like I stole it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana. You might take a look at where the tang screw comes through to see if it is battered up. Back it off and see if you can see any dinged threads. If it is messed up you should be able to get the dinged threads filed off. Buy a new set of screws when you are through doing the De-Bubbaizing. You can put a couple pieces of tape on the trigger tang to avoid scratching it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Congrats on rescuing a deserving Marlin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will be buy a new set of screws to replace the bubba'd ones. Threads that I can see on the tang screw look good. Penetrating oil has not helped. I think next I will try heat with a soldering iron to see if I can get it to break free. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The carrier does a lot of work on these lever rifles. I just ordered a new carrier from Numerich. I also put a small radius of the lever where it pushes on the bottom of the carrier to help prevent a stress point from being created.
Good luck and welcome.
I would also do a close inspection of the muzzle crown... Just as sop to make sure Bubba didn't bugger up the crown.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A hitch in the bolt travel is frequently due to the cocking nub on the bottom rear of the bolt binding on the hammer nose. Had that one myself, careful reshaping of the hammer nose at the contact point and the cocking nub fixed that. Do be careful with the ejector, the old-style ones are pretty thin on the ground.

If you get the proper bits, it doesn't take long to completely strip the action and see what damage bubba did. Careful peening can clean up dings on screwheads and maybe even the edge of the bolt. There's no reason to fear getting the action apart, there are few parts and you have to try hard to get it back together wrong. Swapping the left and bottom trigger plate screws will lock the action up pretty well, though. You can pull the bolt and ejector and see through the bolt slot what you have for carrier timing. You can also drop the lever and slide the bolt back and forth to see where it's hanging up. Add the ejector to find out if that's causing the binding. You can pretty much check things out one part at a time that way. Check the edges of the lever where the carrier rides, if there's a lot of wear, it will affect your carrier's timing. Pull the magazine tube, clean it out with some solvent and patches, same with the spring and follower, then wax all the parts. Repeat once a year if you hunt with it. If you have rust from freckles to patches, use light oil and ultrafine steel wool or bronze wool on it.

Just about all possible problems are covered in the older posts, check them out.

Stan S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have cleaned the mag tube. It was black and waxy. No problems with the hammer or crown. Bolt does seem to contact the hammer extension, so off it comes. Once I am able to get the tang screw out I will inspect and do a fluff and buff of the internals. Hopefully replacing the carrier will correct my lift problem. Does anyone know if a current extractor will fit this model?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The ejector and extractor are different. I believe Marlin change to the current one in 1982. The 77 had the early ones. Your carrier could be tweeked by slightly bending it. Do some searching and find it described by Tom ray in a post on may 2, 2004 about a 444 jamming . He worked at the factory and has posted how to fix them many times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts