Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired a 444s with a stock broken beyond repair. Any recommendations on source for a replacement walnut stock that will fit with minimal adjustment? Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well I like to live vicariously though others, so go here:

Treebone Carving - Home

I have to take my pants off everytime I visit that sight, just because. But if you're looking for a standard replacement bikerbean has steered you right, though there are others out there.

Welcome aboard from the Commonwealth of Virginia!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yep. Treebone is the best option (if you can work with some basic tools). But a 'quick call' to see what they have might result in your wallet being $400-600 lighter.

If you must have a basic/original stock, I understand.
Numrich, Gunbroker, Boyds, and a few other places may have what you're looking for (or a slight upgrade).

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
eBay, most stocks of the same design from Marlin in 336, 44, 45-70 will work with minimum fitting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those Treebone pieces are nice!
Well I like to live vicariously though others, so go here:

Treebone Carving - Home

I have to take my pants off everytime I visit that sight, just because. But if you're looking for a standard replacement bikerbean has steered you right, though there are others out there.

Welcome aboard from the Commonwealth of Virginia!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help. I'll check these out.

Yep. Treebone is the best option (if you can work with some basic tools). But a 'quick call' to see what they have might result in your wallet being $400-600 lighter.

If you must have a basic/original stock, I understand.
Numrich, Gunbroker, Boyds, and a few other places may have what you're looking for (or a slight upgrade).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Be careful what you buy from Numrich. I bought what was said to be a "seconds" butt stock from them. Now I always thought a "seconds" was a new item with flaws in the wood or finish. What I got was a crusty piece of S!!!! with an inch of dust on it and chips missing fore and aft on the stock, I will NEVER buy from them again.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Another vote for Treebone :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I just found treebone yesterday. My o my, just not enough words to describe some of the wood grain!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a butt-ugly customized 444 JM presafety with a pistol grip mutilated stock I found on gunbroker a canadian outfit that would auction modern 1895 straight stocks. ( I think I paid $70 for the stock, and 45 for the matching fore arm. I then had a gunsmith alter and fit the 444 for a straight stock, he also added a custom glove lever worked the action and set the trigger to about 3#s. (The gunsmith was Jim Brockman in Gooding Idaho). I would send photo's if I knew how. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have been drooling over a Treebone stock for my Ruger #1. But I still have a Southern rifle in extra fancy walnut that I have started then put back a dozen times in the last couple of years. I keep saying next month. :ahhhhh:If I can finish the Southern rifle then the #1 I have a 336 in 35 Remington that needs a new stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow-up...I received a stock from Boyds today and it fits and not a bad match to the original forend. It will require some fine tuning but I am pleased. I'll send a few rounds through it this weekend. It came with a 2.5x Redfield..no doubt a 1970s vintage. Not sure what to think about this combination. I'm looking forward to shooting some groups. So any recommendations for bullets for a '70s vintage Model 444s? From what I read, this gun likes a little heavier bullet.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I'm looking forward to shooting some groups. So any recommendations for bullets for a '70s vintage Model 444s? From what I read, this gun likes a little heavier bullet.
Any cast bullet from 250grs to 350grs, as long as it's at least .002 over bore size, and hard enough and you push to top end loads.
My Mantra for the 444 1-38 MG. "Velocity is your Friend"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
allens 444 at 40yrds.jpg follow-up. here is a pic of the 444s with its replacement stock. Nothing fancy but the fit was nearly perfect. There is some sanding and finish work to get a close match to the forestock I want to do but this gal is ready for service! The pic shows my first 10 or so shots at 40 yrds. The last 3 were dialed in well. Time for some longer range shooting. I was using the only bullets I could get easily (265 leverevolution). Cheers!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Nice shooting! The scope looks right at home, I like the straight tubes on levers, got several of them set up the same way. Welcome to Marlin Owners! DP

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That looks like a working combination !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any cast bullet from 250grs to 350grs, as long as it's at least .002 over bore size, and hard enough and you push to top end loads.
My Mantra for the 444 1-38 MG. "Velocity is your Friend"
I'm going to empty out some more brass this weekend and start working on your recommendations. This 444 will likely be just for white tails..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts