Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends and fellow marlin nuts .I just stumbled on a 1973 336 octagon barrel 30/30 at a local gun shop. It is in mint condition,looks like a safe queen. I would rate it at a 9 just because it’s not new. They are asking 900.00 for it. I need to know if it’s worth that kind of money. I have heard these are rare, and that they only made 2,414 of these. Any info from someone who knows this rifle would be great ! Thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
$900.00 seems high to me... I just saw a 1972 Zane Grey octagon go for $565.00 on Gun Broker...

Is it a straight stock or pistol grip?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The Octagon series was only made in 1973. You are correct...There were only 2414 made. No something you see for sale often. No comparison to a ZG, there were about 3 times more ZG's made.

There was a 1894 Octagon, ( which was the 44 Cal in the series) that was in similar condition that sold on GB for $1200 last week. Still not a good comparison to the 336 Octagon but closer. I think it would fetch close to that on GB.

I bought one several years ago for $800 and I was good with that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is,when I first had seen it someone had it on hold. I gave the shop owner my name and number and asked him to call me if the person who had it on hold didn’t buy it. He called me yesterday and said it was available.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
It will take a lot more than $900 to shake me loose from my minty octagon. For some. Reason, the Zane Grays don't come close, although they shoot well.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The problem I see it is your haggling power will be limited because he KNOWS you want. You asked him to call you if it feel through. It'll be kinda hard to walk in and try to talk him down now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.