Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this one up at pawn shop couple days ago looks like it has been underneath someone’s truck seat for a while. Most of the blueing is gone the wood needs to be refinished even most of paint is gone off scope. But it still functions and fires fine matter of fact scope is still dead on at 100 yards. Couple things I need advice on is the restoration. I can’t find anyone close who does hot blueing but found one that will cerakote. I’ve never had one with cerakote and want opinions of blueing vs cerakote.Also I think I’m going to use tung oil on furniture. I want to know can the tung oil be removed if I don’t like the way it turns out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked this one up at pawn shop couple days ago looks like it has been underneath someone’s truck seat for a while. Most of the blueing is gone the wood needs to be refinished even most of paint is gone off scope. But it still functions and fires fine matter of fact scope is still dead on at 100 yards. Couple things I need advice on is the restoration. I can’t find anyone close who does hot blueing but found one that will cerakote. I’ve never had one with cerakote and want opinions of blueing vs cerakote.Also I think I’m going to use tung oil on furniture. I want to know can the tung oil be removed if I don’t like the way it turns out?

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Cerakote is a very tough finish that will resist scratching better than any blurring will. As for Tung oil, iave used it on two stocks with great results. I like it much better than BLO. As for removing it if you don't like it, undiluted turpentine, steel wool, fine sandpaper and elbow grease are needed, not to forget mentioning numerous rags.
If you do refinish the stock, take the white spacers off and sand them gently with extra fine sandpaper. They are very white and stand out beautifully against a Tung Oil finish.
By the way, three to four coats of Tung oil with gentle buffing of 0000 steel wool will give you a real nice satin finish.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I picked up a 81 model cheap some years ago which was way worse then yours, blueing on the barrel was fair, but the receiver was bad, no blueing at all on the side that must have been laying in the truck bed, :)
I stripped the receiver to the base metal and polished it with Flitz, cleaned up the rest of the metal and gave the stock a BLO finish.
It looks really good that way, I think, and the Flitz hasn't allowed a speck of rust in years now. No, it doesn't look like new, but it shoots good, and is respectable looking, and it was done cheap....LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a good hunting rifle to me. I would just take it hunting,:tongue:
I have 3 grandsons 0-5 years old. Im gonna give each of them a jm stamped 30-30 when each is ready for a rifle. I have other Marlins I hunt with so I want the rifles to look good when they get them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.