Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon folks,

I hope everyone had a fine Thanksgiving day with family and friends yesterday. My brother-in-law brought "and old lever action rifle" in his words for me to look at that needed some care in his words. He purchased it back in early 1971 and planned to hunt feral pigs in South Carolina with his father and uncle. Well it seems they didn't get much hunting in for one reason or another but he kept the rifle in his closet all these years.

When he showed up for dinner yesterday, what he pulled out of the case was a pretty little 1894 with a 100th Anniversary emblem on the right side of the stock. He said it hadn't been cared for and would likely need some cleaning up. Well by some miracle, it is almost perfect. With the exception of one small spot of rust, about 1/16" in diameter on the top of the barrel just rear of the front sight, the bluing is like new. There is one small and slight scratch on the left side of the stock near the butt.

The barrel is spotless and the walnut stocks are in great shape and the brass saddle ring is intact and present. OK, I have a few questions if I may. I told him I would clean up his rifle and see what I could learn about it for him. I also volunteered to take it off his hands if he wanted to pass it along in the family ;D.

1. What if any significance is attached to the 100th Anniversary emblem and rifles so marked? Are they of any particular interest to collectors and is there generally any additional value associated with one of these rifles? Unfortunately he does not have the original box and paperwork.

2. Would anyone care to speculate on a current value for such a rifle. A reasonable ballpark range is all I am looking for as a curiosity.

3. How many of these rifles were manufactured in 1970?

Thanks in advance for your replies and any info you can provide. I will post a few photos a bit later today.

Best Regards,

TallGrass

·
Registered
102 Posts
The anniversary model designation doesn't really add any value unless its unfired in the original box - and then, not that much more $$.

As to current value - I'd say $400.

Sounds like a nice carbine - how about a pic?

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Yep, It just marks the 100th year of Marlin Firearms CO.

O.S.O.K is very close to what it is worth. I like the older ones with barrel bands instead of the forend cap. I bid on a 1971 1894 SRC last week on GB but didn't get it. Don't know how much it really brought as GB changed their format a little and I can't seem to access the archives now to see what it brought. I quit at 350+.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is another example of why I enjoy these fine rifles. Maybe he'll find it in his heart to just give it to me ::)

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
307 Posts
TallGrass said:
OK I appreciate the comments and help . Here are a few photos.

That is one purdy rifle!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well discussions have begun about a trade. My unused 8" telescope for the brother in laws unused 1894. With any luck this sweet little carbine will find a new home with my other Marlins.

His initial reply was favorable and we just need to do a bit of due diligence and inspection of the telescope.

I'm hopeful.

Thanks for all of your responses to this thread.

Regards,

TallGrass

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is a very nice gun! It looks a lot like the 1980 model 1894C I bought recently for about the same price. It's in great shape, too, but I think I am going to refinish the stock so that all the dings and scratches that get added from this point are by me!

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Congratulations Tall Grass. Reckon you'll have that one for life.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm feeling pretty confident the trade will go thru so I ordered a Skinner receiver mount rear sight for the rifle. It arrived today and was easily installed in a few moments. Thanks Tim for the fast turnaround on my order.

I plan to remove the original barrel mounted rear sight as it is not one that folds down and it is in the sight picture. Taking a cue from one of the other threads I located a dovetail blank at Brownell's and placed an order for one this evening. Should tidy up that detail nicely.

I haven't fired the rifle yet as we are right in the middle of our deer gun season and I have been hunting my property this year. Trying to keep the gunfire to a minimum for a few more weeks. Plenty of other rifles ready to go for this season.

The Skinner rear sight fits well and sets nicely on top of the rifle. I'm pleased with the look and my initial thoughts on the peep is that it is going to work well for me. I am able to pick up my front sight and target quickly and the old eyes seem to like what they are seeing.

Thanks again for the assistance and positive feedback.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's official, I'm the proud owner of a sweet little 1894 in .44 mag. 8)

The telescope met with the brother-in-law's approval and we have made the trade.

I pulled the old rear sight off today and hope to have the dovetail plug from Brownells this week.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Beautiful gun Tallgrass!

A '70 44 Mag 1894 was my first Marlin. It's easy handling and suprising accuracy began the addiction that lead to numerous other Marlins and way too much time spent here at MO.

Can't go wrong with that Skinner. Fine receiver sight that should work and look perfect with your 1894.

Enjoy!

Roe

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
TallGrass said:
I pulled the old rear sight off today and hope to have the dovetail plug from Brownells this week.
I left the rear sight on mine doesn't get in the way.

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts