Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a 99M1 1967 22 rifle worth that has been completely refinished by a gunsmith (so the seller says) worth? The guy has been trying to sell it for a month and re-listed it a couple of times. It is local so it would be a face to face deal hands on thing. From the pictures it looks new for sure. Great looking refinish and better than one of my redo's LOL. I don't need it as I have more than I need and he wants 250. for it. Not going to happen here. Tell me what you guys would offer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here in New York $250 would need to be mint to NIB, last one I saw with box and all papers went $275 locally.

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in New York $250 would need to be mint to NIB, last one I saw with box and all papers went $275 locally.
That's what I was thinking. This one looks mint but is not new in box and has been refinished. I offered him 160.00 as I don't think it is worth more than that and already have more guns than I need.

·
Premium Member
15,421 Posts
175 would be tops in my opinion for a refinish

if it were mint original then I would agree with 250

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Assuming it does include the original rear sight , I'd say about $150.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like the Camp Carbines, especially the 45ACP versions, the M1/M2 22LR variants have risen in popularity and demand in recent times. Once that occurs the prices also rise. I remember not that long ago that a Camp 45 in excellent condition could be had in the $400-$500 range. Now if you find one for less than $800-$900 you've done real good. We've actually seen examples bring well north of $1,000 recently. I believe the same thing is now happening with the 99M1 and the 989M2. No, I don't think we'll ever see these rifles selling for the lofty prices of the Camp Carbines, but don't be surprised to see guns that were $125-$150 a couple years ago selling for well over $200, possibly nearing the $300 mark in the near future. Once the collector mentality takes over it's a whole new ballgame. Add to that the general attitude towards firearms in today's political arena and you've got a situation made for inflation. With that said, I agree with several of the responses here that the fact this gun has been refinished seriously impacts it's value, especially to the serious collector. If it's a very nice job, and the gun is in excellent working condition (ex.: did the 'smith change out the springs and buffer while it was apart?) I would say top end would be between $150-$175 in my neck of the woods. And if someone was looking for a fun shooter that's still good value for the money. I passed on an M1 at a gun show a couple of weeks back in good original condition at $200, but I already have one of each. It was gone an hour later so someone thought the price wasn't too bad. Best advice I can give is that if you seriously want an M1/M2 you better get going. They're still out there, and can sometimes still be had at reasonable prices, but I don't think that is going to last too much longer. YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If he had a real gunsmith refurbish the rifle I'm sure he's going to lose money despite what he feels however he'll likely find someone that will pay that, a classic case of sinking money into the wrong thing hoping for a nice return. As Grandpa use to say, "some animals aren't worth taking to the Vet"..........I agree.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For what its worth , the rear sights alone for the marlin M1s routinely go for $65.00-$100.00 . Using that math , $125.00-$150.00 seems a little light for a nice specimen . Refinished or not .

Al

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures of the gun. The add says the barrel was reblued and the receiver was duracoated black, internalswere upgraded to newer feed throat and has original rear sight. 99m1.jpg 99m1-2.jpg 99m1-3.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
100_0901.JPG

Did this one myself just a couple weeks ago .
1966 . It looked a little rough when I picked it up so I refinished the stock & cut a new spacer .
IF I were to sell it , I would not consider anything under $250.00 ..............

Reactions: srv1 and Salps

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
What is a 99M1 1967 22 rifle worth that has been completely refinished by a gunsmith (so the seller says) worth? The guy has been trying to sell it for a month and re-listed it a couple of times. It is local so it would be a face to face deal hands on thing. From the pictures it looks new for sure. Great looking refinish and better than one of my redo's LOL. I don't need it as I have more than I need and he wants 250. for it. Not going to happen here. Tell me what you guys would offer.
Here are the pictures of the gun. The add says the barrel was reblued and the receiver was duracoated black, internalswere upgraded to newer feed throat and has original rear sight. View attachment 97075 View attachment 97076 View attachment 97077
It looks like he did a great job on this going from the pictures. It has the original rear sight, he reparkerized the barrel and used a walnut stain. I would pay $250 for that. I paid that amount for my 989M2 a few years back and it was not in mint condition but that price included shipping. Think about it this way, you do not have to look for a rear sight and pay $100, you do not have to sand down the stock and restain it and you do not have to worry about any scratches or bluing issues to the barrel. I say do not spend a penny more than $250. Tell him $250 OTD or go pound sand.

James

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
That's a nice one, maybe worth the price if you really want one, sights alone have gone for close to $80 on e-bay.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nice lookin' 99M1, price not to bad if you want one bad, I might spring at $250 but would need a hands on look first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If he had a real gunsmith refurbish the rifle I'm sure he's going to lose money despite what he feels however he'll likely find someone that will pay that, a classic case of sinking money into the wrong thing hoping for a nice return. As Grandpa use to say, "some animals aren't worth taking to the Vet"..........I agree.
That's about what I was thinking myself. The pics do look pretty nice, but for that kind of money I'd rather wait and find a nice all original gun. I just passed on an M1 at a local gun shop for $125. It wasn't a bad piece, but the stock did have a crack. I could have repaired it, refinished the stock, cleaned it up, installed new spring kit and bushing, etc. but in the end I'd have had more in time/money than it would have been worth, and I already have more guns/gun projects that I need anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is not a bad deal if that is what you want and don't mind paying top dollar. I have several 22 rifles including a Model 99 made this same year. I will put that $250. toward something I want more. The rifle is listed on Armslist in Gainesville Florida. He responded to my email in just a few minutes. He did not want to budge off the $250. It has been listed a couple of weeks and he has had some other rifles listed as well. If any of you are in this area you are welcome to buy it as far as I am concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I think the Blue Book says around 125 but of course the dang rear sight will bring 70-100 on ebay. I think 150.00 is plenty for a refinished 99m1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts