Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tag says 336 TEXAN but caliber is .44 Mag. I thought .44 only came in 1894 model . . . . . I did not think to look at the barrel info but I can if anyone is interested.

Marlin Cowboy (Ser # ABxxxxx) says it is a 1966 year made. It is on consignment at local shop here in North Carolina so I guess you could make an offer to the owner. I took pictures but I can say the metal looked very nice and the action like smooth as silk. Wood was clean and no major flaws. That is not dirty in the top picture of the left side - that is dark grain in the wood.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
It's one of those 336 44's. Looks to be in very good shape but I wouldn't call it rare. They pop up on Gun Broker all the time. Did I say it looks to be in very good shape? Somebody will take her home but the price is a bit high.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I wouldn't call it any better than ok condition...especially with that non-original poorly fitted BUTT UGLY recoil pad :p way too much money considering the shape...me personally ? I'd put it back and leave it there

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that butt pad but was not aware they made .44 mag in 336 model. The store guy said he is a Winchester collector and said that the .44mag cowboy were "not that many made". I am sure there is some of that "IT IS A REAL MARLIN SO IT IS RARE" now because of the Remlins. I know a lot of you MO's know all the details of these models.

GB45

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Its not a bad gun and the messed up stuff can be reversed with NOS parts but to me the pricetag is about $150-175 too heavy...the 336/44 was not the best marriage of gun to cartridge...thats why there are 1894s in 44mag..a much better fit in every way

·
Registered
522 Posts
You may seriously want to research parts for that one, may scarce on some items particular to that chambering or not available at all. It would be a shame if something broke that you could not find and had to fabricate a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear all these California guys that say they can not find any Marlins. Maybe we should have a thread for miscellaneous Marlin Levers like this - or maybe there is already?

GB45

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: 1966 .44 Mag Marlin At Local Shop on Consignment

I have a 1965 336 44 Mag used to jam alot but I have tinkered with it alt and put in a new brass follower that helped and it cycles about 98% now. But I still love it a shoot it often but if I had to rely on it for self defence I think I would rather have My 30-30. Here are some Pic's of the Carrier with the extra goodies the was supposed to make it work. Dennis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
They made a small number of the 336/44's in the mid 60's.The short 44 mag case fitted to the longer 30-30 style action.They were not known to be all that dependable and the caliber was dropped.The 44 mag was reintroduced in the 1894 action a few years later with much more success.I say leave it there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: 1966 .44 Mag Marlin At Local Shop on Consignment

They really didn't make that many of them and so yes they are more rare than some, it would make a good collector if You could get it for say $350.00 to $400.00, that said I have seen some really rough one go for $500.00! All My Marlins are Collectors to Me and would be the last ones to go if I had to sell my guns. Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Tag says 336 TEXAN but caliber is .44 Mag. I thought .44 only came in 1894 model . . . . .

There was said to be somewhere around 14,000 of these Texans made in this chambering between '65-'67 so they're not that rare.....

CalvinMD said:
I wouldn't call it any better than ok condition...especially with that non-original poorly fitted BUTT UGLY recoil pad :p way too much money considering the shape...me personally ? I'd put it back and leave it there

I agree! It looks like some fool installed the sling mount in the bullseye too.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even with my limited knowledge I told the guy that was not so rare and the cost was high but that is what the owner wanted for it. This is why I would never buy a Marlin without checking with the MO Team first!

GB45

1 - 12 of 12 Posts