Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I'm new here and this also my first post. Need help with my fathers old Marlin 336 (WesternField 740A emn) Manufactured right around the end of 64 or early 65. The rifle is in very good shape, my father must of put maybe 2 boxes of shells thru it before he past back in the late 60's. Mom's kept it in her closet in a chest for like 35years. Then one day she gave it to me. At any rate it's in very good shape, the only thing I don't like about it It has no safety. Here's my questions, how hard would it be to put a safety on it? Would it require a hole new receiver? Is this rifle worth putting $200 dollars into for new fancier wood and a scope? It had a scope don't know what happened to it. Here's a few pix....I know the hammer is back and that's not good specially for a rifle with no safety, but I haven't bought shells yet. This was my dad's favorite so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to it....except mount a scope or better yet get a receiver sight (peep).
As far as the safety....you don't need one, use it in half cock ;)
BTW, welcome aboard to MO's

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
SportsFans,
Welcome to MO's forums. You have a nice rifle handed down from your father ... I hope you enjoy it.

six_gunz said:
I wouldn't do anything to it....except mount a scope or better yet get a receiver sight (peep).
As far as the safety....you don't need one, use it in half cock ;)
I agree ...

bjm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks six_gunz for your speedy reply, and I think your right I should leave as much the original rifle as possible. I must look into a receiver sight, but I like the looks of the 336 with a scope strapped to it. In the service I really liked the the reciever and barrell sights on the m16 it made it very handy and accurate. Think I will have to try both. Half cocked....hmmm will check that out also. Thanks man I'm glad to be here, and also for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Just thought I'd add it doesn't take a whole lot of money for fancier wood.... Maybe about 20 bucks and a little effort. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
Just thought I'd add it doesn't take a whole lot of money for fancier wood.... Maybe about 20 bucks and a little effort. ;)
Like 186 Tmanbuckhuter said . It looks like the original wood might have some hidden potential, if your willing to smooth out the stock and bring out the grain.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Schtoolee said:
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
Like 186 Tmanbuckhuter said . It looks like the original wood might have some hidden potential, if your willing to smooth out the stock and bring out the grain.
And I could help you with it to. Just ask anyone on here whose seen my work, I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
25,055 Posts
The half cock is safe .. the real safety is between your ears.. I would not alter that in any way , shape or form. just shoot it and enjoy it..

If your really concerned.. don't load the chamber till your ready to shoot it.. but half cock is and has been safe for years.. The new safety's are because of land sharks.. I am sure we would have a member possibly close enough to explain first hand and showing you about the rifle if you need ..

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Lovely! I'm not sure it needs much to be a real looker.

While my Glenfield has factory designed engraved into the forestock and pistol grip, I'd like it just the same if it were plain. In fact, my new Model 60 looks fine to me as plain as it is. I guess I'm not into fancy. ;D

Enjoy it and make it a family heirloom.

·
Super Moderator
15,154 Posts
Welcome to MO SportsFans! First off nice rifle and I wouldn't do a thing to it except clean it, oil it and give it some lemon oil furniture polish, it's bound to be a tad thirsty after all this time. ;D.
Go here: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Centerfire.pdf
for info on the operation of the rifle, the 336 has changed some but the tune remains the same. Check out the reference section in MO's forum for more info. Mount your scope as low as possible to the reciever and stay away from see-thru rings, you will not get a good cheek weld with them. A lot of fellas use a fixed low power scope for their use, I have a variable 3-9x 40 mounted in rings for a 44mm, this allows about 3/16" clearance from the rear sights. Good luck with your "new" rifle and take care of it, your dad knew what he was buying and will be along shortly when you go hunting. ;) Mr fixit

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I am of the school of thought that "honestly earned character is beautiful." In this case that means I would leave Dad's gun like it is and use it gently. That way it still has a part of Dad in it.

If I want to tinker with an old gun and pretty it up I prefer to use one that holds no personal connection or memories from the family.

When a family gun has been sort of trashed and needs a face lift to keep it from deteriorating, that's different.

Congrats on a fine old gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man you guy's a great. Glad to be here thanks. I think I'll have to agree, it just needs a good clean up a little lemon oil, alittle elbow grease, and it would look great. I think I'll leave her as she is throw a good scope on as suggested and take good care of her. The half cocked safety works great...man I'm liking this rifle more and more, and I've haven't fired her yet. WyoStillhunter thanks for the manual Pdf. Tmanbuckhuter If I can't get here cleaned up I'll look you up but the is in good shape. Again thank you all, and when I get her all cleaned and scoped I'll post up some pix in the New Gallery. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I'm glad you like half cock. One of the main reasons I only just got a Marlin was it is a pre-safety model. It isn't always easy to find a good old one. It's also a pre-micro-groove model and that sealed the deal.

As far as scopes go, I would top the Marlin with a good varable in the 1.5-4.5 range.

Use and enjoy your dad's old gun. Make much meat with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian in FL said:
I'm glad you like half cock. One of the main reasons I only just got a Marlin was it is a pre-safety model. It isn't always easy to find a good old one. It's also a pre-micro-groove model and that sealed the deal.

As far as scopes go, I would top the Marlin with a good varable in the 1.5-4.5 range.

Use and enjoy your dad's old gun. Make much meat with it.
Hey thanks Brian in FL. Can you fill me in on the micro groove? Mine was manufactured about early 1965. And wondering if mine has them or not?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Welcome aboard Sportsfan. That is a very nice looking rifle you have there and I know you are proud to have a rifle that your dad owned and carried. Looks like nice wood on that rifle and I like the fore end cap. Makes it look more "cowboy-like." I don't think I have ever heard of anyone that actually wanted to add a safety to a Marlin. Many of us go to extra expense to have them contraptions removed. ;D The Marlin comes with two safetys: the half cock and the little button under the lever that is depressed when you grip the rifle. So Marlins are a fairly safe weapon as originally designed. If you prefer a scope, scope it. That was how your dad used it, it seems. Although most of us like the looks of an un-scoped lever action, many of us, myself included, need a scope to compensate for aged vision. Perhaps you have a young man, or young lady, you can one day past that rifle on to who will continue to appreciate its timeless beauty and the heritage it represents.

·
Super Moderator
15,154 Posts
Open the bolt, make sure the chamber is empty, look down the muzzle, you should see lots of swirls if it's micro groove, if not there will be maybe 8 distinct grooves in the barrel, they all spiral. Mr fixit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Longfin! I'll probably do just that and pass it down. mr fixit it looks like 8 or so distinct grooves in the barrel. Is that good or bad?

·
Super Moderator
15,154 Posts
ballard rifling, I'm clueless as to the positive or negatives of it. I can tell you I wish I had Ballard rifling in my .444, I could shoot the Hornady 265 LE's, as it is I'm not all that impressed with the groups. Do a search, I know there has been some discussion on it, look for Ballard vs. micro groove (or the other way around) maybe in the reference forum. Has something to do with the rate of twist and how bullets react to it. Mr fixit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts