Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local gunshow yesterday, saw a rusty 39A. At a decent price, but was leery. Thought about it all night, went back today and picked it up.
Wood is intact but some wear, slight pitting on rcvr. Barrel has that red hue, slight surface rust on tube and cap.
Good news is bore looks great, internals intact and look fine. All parts are intact. Hit the rust with steel wool and a good bit cleaned up. Will still have some slight pitting.
Was thinking I'd refinish it but now am leaning towards leaving it as is. Pictures are before cleanup.
IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1017.JPG

Were swivels included in 1957?
Would value be higher left as is, or would reblueing make no difference?
How did I do for $250otd?

·
Banned
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stole it. Cleaned up great. No pitting, just speckles on the rcvr finish. Cycles ammo slick as can be. Very happy with it. No need to even consider refinishing. Can’t believe it sat at a big show for 2 days with a $298 tag on it. Every other 39 was $500-700

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
I wish I could find one like that. I haven't seen one less than $500 around here no matter the condition, and that includes the one I saw that had a receiver that was pitted enough to almost look like a golf ball. Granted at the point I saw that one on an estate sale it had been cleaned and re-blued so no active rust but it still sold for $550.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Outstanding snag! I wouldn't refinish it, just clean it up like you did. I like the bluing turning a bit plum with age, just like my 47'. A rifle with great character!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Great deal on your 39A!!
I'm not sure that the hammer wasn't changed out at some point in the past. I don't remember a 57 or 58 having the relief cut for the hammer spur.
Either way it's a great find.

·
Registered
19,678 Posts
Nice find and a great price!:tee:

Reactions: Marlinjunkie
1 - 20 of 35 Posts