Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's/Gal's

I have not been on this site in a very, very long time. I use to have a boat load of 22's and 2 or 3 Marlins at one time not all 22's. I got so sick of the 22 shortage a few years back that I decided to sell all my 22's, after the third year of the shortage. Yes I know very dumb of me, just down right stupid. I had a Mountie that I sold along with my other 22's.

Now that 22's are back I have been buying all lever guns in 22 caliber. I would rather shoot my lever guns than a 10/22 or any other automatic. I just purchased a 1955 Marlin Mountie with the scope mount and a weaver scope on it off of GunsAmerica. It looks to be in really good shape with what the FFL holder say's is very good (New Looking) rifling. The gun is looking very good on the internet and he rates it at 95%. The rifle is suppose to be here on Tuesday at the LGS. So I am excited to own another Marlin and glad to be back in the group. I have already received the Williams FP 39 sights for it. I will probably take the scope off of it. I really like the Williams peep sights over all others. I have a set on a Browning BL-22.

I would love to find a fore arm cap with the swivel already in it that came on later models. I have had no luck at Numrich or eBay. If anyone has one or knows where to acquire one please let me know. Thanks

Here are he internet pictures of it. Wish me luck on the condition but the FFL had very good reviews so I think it will be all good. Coming from NY so it probably wasn't shot a whole bunch.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
She does look nice . Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Welcome back. When I first saw the pic I almost jumped up to go see if my !956 with the barrel mount scope 39A was still in the safe but saw that mountie stock and knew it wasn't mine. Good looking rifle and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I got tired of buying those swivel stud forearm caps and started
doing my own.
All you have to do is take a stud, cut it off the right length...drill
a hole in the fore arm cap and weld the stud on in the bottom
of the cap.
It takes less than an hour and with my mig welder set on about
1/2 second spot it gives a clean solid weld.
I've done 7 so far.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Navajo,

Thanks for the advice on making them. That would be easy tp do. I would like to keep the original intact though.

Vadrums, thank you for letting me know. It is no longer there it is on the way to me. I bought that end cap as soon as I read you're post. Perfect, thanks again.

Thanks for all the comments guy's, can't wait to get her in Tuesday. I will probably clean her up good and shoot her on Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Somebody posted a couple of gun parts place on here I'd never heard of about a month ago. I'll see if I can find it, but somebody will likely beat me to it. Jack's First is another place to try.

I surely like the looks of the satin finish on that darlin little rifle you found. CONGRATULATIONS!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I realize this is an old thread. I just bought a 1955 Marlin 39A Mountie and I notice the barrel is drilled and tapped exactly for this kind of mount. My question is this done at the factory as it's the first Marlin 39A I've seen with a drilled and tapped barrel?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It is possible, I think that was the year that the ones supposedly slated for sale at Sears were tapped with four holes on the left side of the barrel.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They were done from the factory for Sears sold Marlins. Then Marlin also offered that you could send your rifle into the factory and they would drill and tapp it for you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found this quote on another forum and thought that you would like to know.
Marlin didn't offer the barrel d&t until 1954-1956. It was standard on rifles sold through Sears, but you could send your 39A during that time period to have it done

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.