Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that 1955 marked the the first year Marlin advertised D&T for the 336, while Brophy states 1956 was when they were first done....also, were those guns D&T'd for the tang sight? I have a line on one, it has a scope base installed, would like to know if the holes are factory, and pestering seller just now with tang sight hole questions would be unwarranted until i find out the scope base part.....thanks for any replies....

PS...forgot there was a collector's sub-forum and posted essentially same question there, so any replies to either post will be checked without anyone worrying about having to post maybe twice to be seen...thanks again...

·
Registered
356 Posts
No tang sight holes. Last one I have with factory tang holes is a 47.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper made in 1955; it is factory D & T'd, and I think that is the first year this feature became factory standard, but can't say for sure as I do not have a 1955 catalog. One thing of note you might be interested in is that all 1955 Model 336's will have the old style and desirable Ballard rifling with the EXCEPTION of the 219 Zipper; this was the first Model 336 to feature Micro Groove rifling, with the transition to Micro Groove in all Model 336 Marlins taking place in 1956.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I have A 1955 336SC 30-30. Factory D&T Ballard rifled. Sweet shooter.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Here is a page from the 55 catalog. Stating they are D&T.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, folks....i knew it was the last year of cut rifling on the centerfires which is why i wanted the thing, also the "rifle" config with no barrel bands (even if they DID call it a carbine)...the factory D&T is a bonus, the only year apparently that you could get cut-rifling and D&T......i have bought the thing thanks to your replies.....i wonder how many SCs in .35 Rem they made between 50-55?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wanted to specifically thank all who responded, and i did indeed buy the gun for $349, which was what i thought a pretty good deal on a gun i never see for sale....Thanks again....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still consider them high power....my .375H&H was just higher power....and my 32WCF is just a little lower power....they all kill deer just fine

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My 1955 336 Sc in 35 Remington is Ballard rifling and drilled and tapped for scope mounting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you check the collector subforum and see some of the replies there, you'll see how rare that puppy just might be....how about 1000-2000 total?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts