Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of those times where luck just steps into your path!
So, here I am in AZ, (Snowbird & just got here Sat.) and was wishing that I had brought my Marlin 39a plinking rifle with me down here (but, I flew down). There is a gun show coming up this Sat., so thought that I ought to go & see if they might have a beater that would not be too unreasonable. Given the seemingly big jump in 39A prices the last couple years, I thought that I'd be very lucky to find one under $700-800.:mad: I do have a first year manufacture (1939) that feels head & shoulders over my 2002 plinker ) I like the non-rebounding, pre safety, Ballard rifling early ones, but they are pretty scarce.
So today , I stopped into a locale gun store thinking that maybe if they had a Henry 24" Oct barrel model (probably in the $450 range), that might do. Imagine my surprise when I spied what looked like an early 39A on the rack! It couldn't be, because it looked brand new from about 8' away:unsure:. Trying to remain calm, I asked to look at it:sneaky: & then I see the K9xxx serial number AND it does not have a mark on it! The store owner said that he had picked it up as part of a Lot of guns in an estate sale & he had it marked $650 because it is in such nice condition. I said that I was really in the market for a $400 Henry, but if he could take $500 for it, I would stretch my budget a bit (just an old guy on Social Security you know). Someone had put what looked like a small scope on it, but it was actually a Red Dot & he said that he would have to have at minimum $550 cash for it. As luck would have it, that was just what I had on me!
I'm telling you that this Marlinitus is WORSE than the COVID! I really did not want no stinking Henry anyway!;)
I'll post a picture in the next couple days when I get one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds great, did they drill to mount the red dot? Does it have Ballard style rifling? Here's to hoping it hasn't been drilled and you have a reciever sight for it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,574 Posts
Nice score! Waiting for the pics!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Congratulations. Good find and great story. K is 1953. L is '54. K is also the first year for the Mountie but it was made with the straight grip and the 24" barrel in '53.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple pics. Apparently that "Tact Edge" red dot is probably 10-15 years old & typical Chinese and it will be removed, but thought that I would leave it on for the pics.
Notice that there is very little wear on the hammer bluing, so likely it was just shot a few times then spent most of it's 66 years in a closet/safe.
Not wanting it as a collector, I do not have a problem with the top of the receiver being D&T & may mount a scope myself one day (old eyes you know!). I am not sur whether these came with sling swivel either- may have been be added on, but useful.
Anyway, I am pretty tickled with it at the price & can't wait until I can get a peep on it and take it to the range!

So, I have a couple Waffle Tops that are "G" prefixes & they ae 1950's vintage & I thought that this "K" would be a 1954, except in the back of my mind I seem to remember that maybe they never used the "I"??? I do not have my "Brophy's" down here in AZ.

Marlin 39A-1.jpg
Marlin 39A-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Great looking 39a and the K should be 1953. You got a great deal on it as you already konw.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little range report update.
I took the red dot off & put a Centerpoint ( cheap Walmart) 3-9X on it just to see what it would do before I take the scope base off & put a peep on it (it is on order).
At 50Y it will shoot 5 rd. Blazer groups into 5/8", which is almost as good as my Savage FVSR (3/8"-1/2") with a better scope. Surprisingly, the Blazer did a better job than some CCI-SV that I tried (7/8"). Still, the little '67 year old M39A does quite well. It is too bad that they do not have any .22 lever Silhouette matches around here!
Of course now that everyone at the range is trying to figure out what to shoot that does not use up Unobtanium reloading components, maybe we need to find a way to shoot a "sort of" .22 silhouette match, ( small steel swingers at the 40-50-75-100 yardages?) .

·
Registered
859 Posts
Beautiful, Congratulations on a great buy. I never see those around my neck of the woods, for years. Then I walked in to my LGS and there sat a 1966 model Mountie. Got it for $450 out the door. First and only time I ever gotten Lucky.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A little range report update.
I took the red dot off & put a Centerpoint ( cheap Walmart) 3-9X on it just to see what it would do before I take the scope base off & put a peep on it (it is on order).
At 50Y it will shoot 5 rd. Blazer groups into 5/8", which is almost as good as my Savage FVSR (3/8"-1/2") with a better scope. Surprisingly, the Blazer did a better job than some CCI-SV that I tried (7/8"). Still, the little '67 year old M39A does quite well. It is too bad that they do not have any .22 lever Silhouette matches around here!
Of course now that everyone at the range is trying to figure out what to shoot that does not use up Unobtanium reloading components, maybe we need to find a way to shoot a "sort of" .22 silhouette match, ( small steel swingers at the 40-50-75-100 yardages?) .
I remember that you said you were a snow bird,they shoot at Ben Avery a lot, don't know how far that is from you. That is very good shooting, both you and the rifle. I think the rimfire lever silhouette matches are one of the most enjoyable of the shooting sports.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is right about Ben Avery, when I was shooting BPCR years back, I used to shoot there on occasion. Usually ran by Steve Rhoads before he died.
Unfortunately I am up north at at the Colorado river, (Bull Head City, which is 4+ hours away.).
At least there is a State range here like when Ben Avery started. It is only about 20+ min. from me. There are some e-mails flying back & forth on ideas about what to shoot in matches and .22 of some sort is a hot contender. Although, at the gun show, the only .22s that I saw was five bricks of Blazer at $85 a brick! Fortunately, most of us have stocked up on .22s in the last couple of years due to the same thing happening 3-4 years ago:sneaky: !
So, if they settle on some kind of offhand or three position match with .22s, I will get some winter practice with my new/old M39A. need to lighten the trigger a little as it is 4-5 lbs & I like them at 2.5-3# for offhand.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That is right about Ben Avery, when I was shooting BPCR years back, I used to shoot there on occasion. Usually ran by Steve Rhoads before he died.
Unfortunately I am up north at at the Colorado river, (Bull Head City, which is 4+ hours away.).
At least there is a State range here like when Ben Avery started. It is only about 20+ min. from me. There are some e-mails flying back & forth on ideas about what to shoot in matches and .22 of some sort is a hot contender. Although, at the gun show, the only .22s that I saw was five bricks of Blazer at $85 a brick! Fortunately, most of us have stocked up on .22s in the last couple of years due to the same thing happening 3-4 years ago:sneaky: !
So, if they settle on some kind of offhand or three position match with .22s, I will get some winter practice with my new/old M39A. need to lighten the trigger a little as it is 4-5 lbs & I like them at 2.5-3# for offhand.
I see, are you familiar with the offhand online match right here on this site? Great fun, plenty of competition for all skill levels, great players, what's not to like.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually Strugl, I do not know about it! What is it under?
By the way, I got that 4-1/2# trigger down to a clean breaking 3# this evening& that is far as I want to go till I have shot it a lot more. I think that I am getting attached to this rifle:love:.
At the gun show today, I bought one of those Osprey scopes (good Japanese glass, but assembled in China) Though not too expensive (3-12X44 with a 30mm tube, $175 OTD) as a step up from the $39 Centerpoint that I had laying around. We will see if it will tighten up the groups a smidge.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry, it's not on Marlin Owners, it is on Rimfire Central, under online matches, then RFC offhand match.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I'll look it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts