Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to visit my Uncle this morning and he gave me his 1953 Winchester Model 70 30-06!
He's almost 90 now and he can hardly lift it,he bought it new when he was in the Korean war,I tried to get the story from him and he said he bought it overseas but he gets confused sometimes.

It's a 1953 so that would line up with the dates he was overseas......Could you by a gun back then overseas and bring it home?

What my main question is about the old Weaver KV scope on it what is the 3 rd. knob on the side for ? I didn't want to mess with it at all till I know what it's for? ?????

The scope is perfectly clear with fine cross hairs the mount is a Pachmayer LO-SWING Scope mount,it works great.

I'm sure that mount destroyed the value a ton but I ain't sellin it anyway but would still like opinions on the value.

I know that gun has killed a zillion deer I remember him hunting with it 50 some years ago.

I'm going to sight this baby in and hunt with it!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That V is for variable, not varmint, and the third adjustment changes the magnification. Remove the rearmost adjustment cap and you should see what the magnification range is and what directions to turn it for increasing or decreasing power.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That third knob is, I believe to changs the power of the magnification. The KV is a two power scope, 2.5 -5X. Nothing in between. It was in many respects a game changer in the optics world. I formerly had a 53 vintage 70, 270, great gun. Yours is a beauty. Enjoy the combo, after all they've worked for over 60 years together.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
...he bought it new when he was in the Korean war,I tried to get the story from him and he said he bought it overseas but he gets confused sometimes.

It's a 1953 so that would line up with the dates he was overseas......Could you by a gun back then overseas and bring it home?
In 1953 you could order a rifle from the Sears catalog or some other mail order outfit and have it sent directly to your home. Perhaps he did just that by posting his mail order while overseas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's a wonderful legacy your uncle passed on to you. I have my dad's Model 70 that he bought around the same time as your uncle got his! That whole generation looked at the ownership of a Model 70 as the sign of a serious outdoorsman.
There is something special about owning and shooting a Model 70.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That third knob is, I believe to changs the power of the magnification. The KV is a two power scope, 2.5 -5X. Nothing in between. It was in many respects a game changer in the optics world. I formerly had a 53 vintage 70, 270, great gun. Yours is a beauty. Enjoy the combo, after all they've worked for over 60 years together.
You are correct I just took the cap off and it has 2 3/4 X & 5X with 2 arrows and it still works.

I wonder how many of those caps were lost in the woods.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a wonderful legacy your uncle passed on to you. I have my dad's Model 70 that he bought around the same time as your uncle got his! That whole generation looked at the ownership of a Model 70 as the sign of a serious outdoorsman.
There is something special about owning and shooting a Model 70.
I dearly miss that generation

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lots of caps on the forest floor for sure! My old KV was missing that cap, didn't bother the scope a bit either. Enjoy! You have a piece of history that will transport your Uncle's time to you every time you pick it up. Nothing better. I've my Grandfathers old Stevens pump he used to shoot car loads of ducks, pheasant, sharptail, and prairie chickens with. The day is always better when that old girl is in my hands, your's may well do the same for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can find those caps on Ebay all the time .

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Congratulations on the legacy Model 70. Great caliber and great memories of your uncle.

1953 is my birth year. And my uncle was in Korea in 1953, too.

What a fantastic gift! Use it and enjoy it. Keep up the traditions.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You sir, are a lucky man, first to have a uncle still here from "the greatest generation", thanks for his service, and second that he thinks enough of you to give you such a treasure, can't beat a model 70, I have one in 30-06 also and have killed a pile of deer with it, ENJOY IT T Rex

·
Registered
13,675 Posts
You could buy new rifles at the PX in Korea. My hunting partner Dennis uses his dad's Winchester 1894 in 30WCF that was bought in Korea. We took that 1894 to Texas a couple years ago, and Dennis killed a 300 pound porker.

That's a nice Model 70. Congrats. And thanks for your service, Uncle.

Reactions: Nanook

·
Registered
175 Posts
You could buy new rifles at the PX in Korea. My hunting partner Dennis uses his dad's Winchester 1894 in 30WCF that was bought in Korea. We took that 1894 to Texas a couple years ago, and Dennis killed a 300 pound porker.

That's a nice Model 70. Congrats. And thanks for your service, Uncle.
I was just going to say you could get the best discount through the PX in those days. My Mod 70 in 30-06 is my favorite rifle...I like the wear on that 53 model...

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
Thats a fine rifle and scope combo. Honor his rifle and scope as he honored you by giving it to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts