Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

The back story: I am working on acquiring a 1952 Marlin 336sc in 30-30 to refurbish and in the process of doing some research stumbled in to this site and thought joining up and asking some advice might be helpful.

Pros: Low price ($75.00-$100.00 CDN range) negotiations not finalized.
Low round count (spent roughly 40 years of its life in storage).

Cons: Although it was well oiled and stored in a heated garage the bluing and finish have taken some wear and tear.
Low round count due to firing pin needing to be replaced.
Rear sight elevator is missing as well as front sight hood.

As I do not intend to ever resell the rifle and therefore am not concerned about depreciating value in that sense I am considering sanding it all down and re-bluing/re-finishing everything... I have had one person suggest otherwise as it would "lose value as an antique" but again as I have no interest in resale and more so in having a quality bush gun I will most likely go ahead with my plan. ...Opinions?

I would also love some help trying to find those 3 replacement parts... I haven't yet found a definite answer as to whether or not newer replacement parts will fit the old rifles or if I need to attempt to find a used firing pin/elevator/hood from the 1950's and am currently attempting to track down MF#'s for said items.

I don't own the rifle yet but want to be ready to act as soon as I do (hence all the research over the last couple weeks) so thanks in advance for any help! :)

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
The parts you need are reaily available and relatively cheap - I'll post a couple of sources. I would recommend against sandpaper - it will leave scratches in the metal. Start with some penetrating oil like Kroil and 4-0 steel wool and see how well it does. Depending on how much blue is remaining, you may need to re-blue, but that's simply a matter of disassembly and following directions. You may not care about it's vintage value and condition, but likely someone down the line will - a grandchild, perhaps. My bottom line advice - learn all you can before doing anything, and everything you need to know is available here.

Here's a source for early 336 parts (there are others): Note: rear sight elevators can be tricky because different sights have different slot width - be careful to match the image with your sight.

336C Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

And here's another site for Marlin front sight hoods:

Marlinsighthoods.com

And welcome to MarlinOwners! This is a friendly and helpful place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I am glad to be here!

The bluing it self is not in such bad shape (could likely polish it up with some elbow grease) it is more so the stock(s) mainly the rear as the gun appears to have been stored standing up and the oil has run out of it and stained the handle almost black.
Can you think of a way to clean that up without having to refinish the wood? (I am new to refurbishing firearms)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced the FP in my Model 93. Got the replacement pin at Brownell's. They have them for the 336 also. Their prices are reasonable and they ship quickly.
Have fun with the project,
Dave

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Don't haggle on the price. Give him the $100.00, grab the gun, and RUN. There are a lot of us guys that would give twice that sight unseen. :tee:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Fatshot do you know if a firing pin is something brownells can ship to canada?
@Etexoldguy the market for marlins here in eastern Canada is a little different (a lot of dedicated winchester guys) so I am making the offer of $75.00... of course I would be willing to pay the $100.00 if thats what it comes down to but since I know the fellow has no intention of repairing the gun and it was tucked away in his garage for the last 40 ish years I thought I would try. (just waiting to hear back from the middle man)

As for the before/after photos... of course those will make their way online for your viewing pleasure once the project is underway!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good, I had just noticed that on the sight brownells state that some parts may not be shipped outside the US... I assume thats things like barrels and trigger mechanics etc just wasn't sure. (they are closed for the new year holiday I called this afternoon)
I will have the rifle either way... their is no rush, the middle man is one of my best friends stepfather and he has had it in his possession for the last couple of weeks while I was away on holiday, the gun was also something the fellow dug out because he heard I was looking for one and is not on the open market so i'm not too worried about it being sold out from under me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Nova Scotia(Eastern Canada) I will check those places out for sure though... I was also informed by a local gun shop this afternoon about a company called Western Gun Parts which is located in Alberta Canada so suppose I will have to wait for everyone to get back to work after the holiday then find out who has the best parts/prices for my project... the suspense is killing me, I am getting more excited to get started with each passing day.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I would try leaching the oil out of the stock with denatured alcohol. It will lift the oil to the surface and you can wipe it off. It will likely take a number of applications, as the alcohol will evaporate quickly. If it works, rejuvenate the wood with Feed-N-Wax.

Edit - this won't work if the stock has a hard finish on it. If it does, you will have to remove the finish before you can leach up any oil.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
you are running the risk that someone else will say---100.00---sure I'll take it---then you just missed a superb rifle/price for 25.00---buy it now--

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Welcome to MO from Michigan's beautiful UP.

Look at the gun smithing section in the forum index. You will find all kinds of info for your 336 there, including refinishing the wood. It isn't very hard to do, just follow the directions.

Post any questions you have here. Folks here love that stuff.

Looking forward to the pics, and remember, I'll give you $125 for it if you decide you don't want it. Just kidding...sort of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Tom, I will def look in to that since I plan to strip the stock and refinish it anyway it wont hurt to try some alcohol.

So now that the X-mas/New Year holidays are all over and businesses are back up and running I start to make some phone calls today about parts/prices... I will let you all know how it goes.

Just the next step in the process and the suspense builds!! Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after lots of phone calls (and long distance charges) later I rounded up the parts I need although it seems that they will end up being reproduction parts with slightly different appearance but will still fit the older rifle. Unfortunately the only place I was able to find all of the parts in one locations was WGP and they are a little more expensive...that might balance out since shipping cost will be lower ordering from within canada, couple more follow up calls tomorrow then to decide who gets my money... Hope to start posting photos soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just remembered I had these pictures sent to me in an email from my buddy when he snapped a few shots with his phone... after all the suspense here are a couple of teasers to hold everyone over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Looks good. I like the beavertail forestock.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I hope you did buy it!!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice rifle! And it sounds like you have a great winter project to tackle. As said above, use the gunsmithing section on the forum and take your time. I would also say take lots of in progress photos so you can have a good historical log of what you did. I would also say to be very conservative on the sanding. If you take too much off, it will show in the metal to wood fit. I re-did the stock/forearm on my 52' 32 WSP and have no regrets. In fact, later this winter she is going to get a reblue! I don't buy guns for investments or keep safe queens. Last week that ole rifle was out in the woods ready to take a late season doe!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts