Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this over the weekend. Nice honest rifle. Best part other than it being a waffle top is that it is chambered in 35 REM! IMHO, no Marlin collection is complete without a waffle top!

Haven't shot it yet. Will do that first, to see what I have. Then get into replacing the buttplate which is broken. Haven't taken off the recoil pad yet (that will be discarded), but will definitely need a new Marlin style buttplate. I see some on ebay, Numrich and a couple of other gun parts supply houses. Did a search in the archives. Gave me some ideas. Just checking, what's the current thinking (best source) for buying a Marlin style buttplate for a 1952 336? Current buttplate measure approximately 5" x 1 5/8" with screw holes centered at roughly 2 7/8". I realize that I will have to fit it too the stock. Thanks in advance - Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
That is nice. I LOVE the guppy forend on those. Adds character. Looks like good, honest, appropriate wear. You done good! Give us a range report with more pics, please! Close-ups are nice!

Reactions: Beartooth Cowboy

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The new plate will be oversize and you`ll have to work it down to fit. It sands really easy and will buff nice if you want to polish it. On my 49 someone replaced it and its about masking tape proud over the wood, which does not look bad at all and they did a nice job. When I replaced my 71, I was refinishing the wood so I screwed the plate (and spacer on this one) on and sanded it right to the wood for a perfect mating ;)
Wood Material property Plywood Metal
Brown Tan Footwear Chair Leather
Shoe Longboard
Machine Metal

Attachments

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
See above post.

Bolt it on
Mark it
Remove it
Grind it
Sand it
Polish it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new plate will be oversize and you`ll have to work it down to fit. It sands really easy and will buff nice if you want to polish it. On my 49 someone replaced it and its about masking tape proud over the wood, which does not look bad at all and they did a nice job. When I replaced my 71, I was refinishing the wood so I screwed the plate (and spacer on this one) on and sanded it right to the wood for a perfect mating ;)
View attachment 696442 View attachment 696418 View attachment 696434 View attachment 696426
amustangrocks - thanks for your post, good information! Where did you get your buttplate? Thanks Ted

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone for your posts on this rifle! I've been looking for one like this for several years. My wife actually found it tucked away on the back of a rack at a gun show. I was actually trying to deal on either a 1965 39A or a 2001 45/70 that were really clean. This was a much better deal and a lot easier person to deal with. In case anyone is interested, I paid $365 for it.

A couple of questions:

Would someone please post a picture of a buttplate for a 1952 336. I'm trying to identify exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anybody bought a buttplate from Vintagegungrips.com? Comments?

Has anybody bought a buttplate from Roger's Gun Grips? Comments?

Where's the best place to get the two buttplate screws? Seems real pricey at $5.00/each!

Thanks again for all the input. Ted

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
A couple of questions:

Where's the best place to get the two buttplate screws? Seems real pricey at $5.00/each!
Send me a PM and I'll look tonight. I might have a pair of screws.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.