Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title kind of explains it all. Very good friend of mine's relative passed away and left a lifetime of hunting gear. The family parsed the collection out and from the list I asked my friend if there was a Marlin to grab it and that I'd be interested. Sure enough, there was! I've been wanting a 336 to make my main hunting rifle for a while now and this seems to be a great opportunity to get one with some history and personal connection.

Pictures attached are all I have so far; haven't seen it in person yet. Plan to test the bore etc. for rust and overall condition. My question to you all is what a fair price would be for this keeping in mine 1. I'd need to have it tapped and put a rail, rings, and scope on it and 2. I wouldn't be buying this to collect but to actively hunt with.

From what I can tell the serial number is H5419 making it manufactured in New Haven in 1951. Please add any info or correct any information if you know better! It is also JM stamped.

Hopefully in a few weeks time I'll be posting pics of my New To Me 336!

M3.JPG M2.JPG M1.JPG

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Being an SC would make it more desirable to some. I would say $600.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
It would go for 600 to 700 bucks in my area. These models haven't been made since 1962-1963. Since yours should be a Waffle Top--that makes it even more desireable and a hard to find rifle.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would go for 600 to 700 bucks in my area. These models haven't been made since 1962-1963. Since yours should be a Waffle Top--that makes it even more desireable and a hard to find rifle.
Thanks! I actually didn't think to ask if it was a waffle top or not. Just assumed it wasn't but by the year yeah it might be. Good idea!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If this is not a joke, I have to scream. Please don't drill that rare Marlin. An undrilled waffletop deserves to stay that way. They were only made for a few (i think 3)years and are very sought after. Now they are ready to mount a reciever sight to the left side of the beautiful action. Also as to value, I would bet you could trade it for two drilled and tapped regular 336's!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
looks like you a going to get yourself a $600 rifle.
the first hole you drill in the receiver will reduce the value $150 a bunch with each additional hole knocking off another $50. even more.
something to think on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is not a joke, I have to scream. Please don't drill that rare Marlin. An undrilled waffletop deserves to stay that way. They were only made for a few (i think 3)years and are very sought after. Now they are ready to mount a reciever sight to the left side of the beautiful action. Also as to value, I would bet you could trade it for two drilled and tapped regular 336's!

Appreciate the brevity on the side scope; not something I had considered. Never really hunted/range practiced without a scope using irons. Is it still huntable with the side scope?

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
I would mount a peep sight like a Williams FP or a Lyman 66 in the two holes located on the left side of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Appreciate the brevity on the side scope; not something I had considered. Never really hunted/range practiced without a scope using irons. Is it still huntable with the side scope?
I was suggesting a reciever "peep" sight, very accurate in the lever gun range.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe $550.00 in my area as is and $450. drilled and tapped for a scope. Those rifles are made for a side mounted peep sight.
Thanks! I think you've all convinced me to use a side mounted peep! That Lyman 66 does look nice. Is that easy to self install or would I need a gunsmith?

·
Premium Member
12,172 Posts
Thanks! I think you've all convinced me to use a side mounted peep! That Lyman 66 does look nice. Is that easy to self install or would I need a gunsmith?
The Marlins already have the holes tapped for a side mounted peep sight and it just screws on . Just get one that is made to fit a Marlin 336. There are a couple of older Lyman 66 LA sights on ebay. The front sight may need to be changed but that is easy also just tap the old one out and tap the new one in. Of course you should should it with the original front sight and it may be fine as is. There is plenty on youtube showing how if needed.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
Appears to have surface rust or pitting on the barrel, recoil pad has been added, forearm has been drilled for sling.
All of this affects value.
Could not open up the pics to their full size and didn't see the recoil pad, possible pitting, and the stud in the forearm. That will drastically affect the price---probably the rifle would sell for 450-500 bucks in my LGS. My original price estimate is in error.

Reactions: HunterBen

·
Registered
841 Posts
PA is thick with Marlins. I’d pay $400 for that, $500 if no rust, no tapped forearm and intact recoil plate. Assuming no d/t. Those are friends prices. Everything original its a $650 rifle in many parts of the country.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Peep sight is the way to go as already mentioned. Buy a more recent model if you want to scope one. I do understand about a scope as my eyes can't focus on the Iron sights any more. Just don't drill and tap that one.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I second grey beards assessment. I am kinda weak though so I may go $450 if I were in the mod/market.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I bought a Marlin sc made in 1950 waffle top last year in better shape than yours for $ 350.00 . I know I got a good deal on it! That's why I now look in pawn shop's! I have to travel 25 mile's to get to two pawn shop's. You never know what people will bring in when they need cash!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts