Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. HI.

I'll cut to the chase. I have a 1951 336 whose front firing pin broke (it is a two piece firing pin). I did some Googling and came to the conclusion that the one piece firing pin was what I needed, from what I read it seemed to be a new and improved version. It was only later that I realized that the two piece is a safety mechanism for old 336s that lack the button safety. That's a problem but not the main one.

Here's my perceived problem: The one piece firing pin was supposed to be interchangeable (ordered it from MidwayUSA) with the two piece (sans the safety feature). I haven't tried installing the one piece because it doesn't seem like it will work correctly. Here's why: the combined length of the old two piece firing pin is 4.6" (3.8" for the front firing pin and .8" for the rear). The one piece firing pin is 3.8". The bolt is 4.5", from hole to hole. How will a 3.8 inch firing pin possibly work in a 4.5 inch bolt? The only think I can think of is that the firing pin I received is actually for a two piece set up, though it looks different from the one that broke. Attached is a photo.

Also, If the new pin is for a two part setup where does the spring go?
firing pins.jpg
Thanks for your help. I wan to hunt with this gun on Saturday.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
What you have it the new style front firing pin put it in. Only place I know of to get the one piece is www.longhunt.com

The spring still goes in the same place though I've not had a problem with a 1949 that I removed it and never put it back, gravity and the locking lug makes sure the firing pin is lined up. The two piece was removed from a 1970 I recently bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

It took me awhile to figure it out. I guess "new style" means lighter? I put it and now my action is rougher than it was, I think I stretched the extractor a bit. The good news is I'll have a new extractor in a week. The bad news is I have an old style front FP coming with it. Should I be concerned about firing a hundred rounds with it and going hunting? The roughness will bug me until its fixed.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't do it myself. I banged up the pins, stretched the extractor.... I used a vice and punch. I don't know what I could have done differently.

By the way for those of you who are doing replacing a firing pin for the first time, the little hole/depression in the firing pin is for the bent end on the spring.

Live and learn

Bob

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Our reference library has a pictorial of the bolt disassembly and reassembly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swany, Do you have any suggestions for fixing the extractor? The roughness is due to it no longer being flush (or below flush) with the bolt. Until I get a new extractor should I used the gun?

Thanks,

CERW

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
CERW -- first welcome to MO from Central Texas. Second, I'd like to compliment you on your style or writing and your photography. You're going to find your place here by asking great tech questions (including photos) and I suspect that soon you will be answering some of the other guys questions. Sorry, its the journalist training -- you get right to the point.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The reason that firing pin you ordered from Midway won't work is because it's a one-piece pin for an 1894, not a 336. At least that what it looks like to me. The '94 pin is shorter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc, The pin is a new and improved version and it works. It's actually the front firing pin for a 2 piecer, just looks different.

Now, I was just ripped-off by my local gunsmith--charged me $11 for a new extractor the looks used. He wouldn't even give me tips for how to install it, all I got out of him was "you have to be careful, they can break". Thanks dude.

I have searched the forum and have found how to take an extractor off with needle-nose pliers but not how to open the extractor to put it back on? I won't be attempting this until I am confident I won't break it or deform it.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a spring. It should snap back over the bolt but don't bend it. You could form a thin tube that fits over the bolt out of plastic sheet, put the extractor on the tube and push up over the bolt, pull the tube off. If you have 3 hands, you could have one hold the bolt, the other two open the extractor and slip it over the end of the bolt.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
You can bend the extractors claw inward to cure the problem. Do browse a while in gunsmithing stickies I can't remember where exactly but it shows to bend them in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally some good news to report. I didn't like the looks of the new extractor I just bought, it didn't look as nicely made as my original and the claw was shaped differently (one of it's corners was filed at angle vs. my old one was completely symmetrical) and I thought it might make my action as rough as the the old one I had bent out of shape. I reshaped the old one by squeezing it around a 8mm socket with a pair of pliers. It worked, after squeezing it came out a bit smaller than the new one. To put it on I did as swany suggested; I pushed it on with my thumbs. Why I hadn't done this before is because the area of the bolt where the extractor fits is really rough and has two pin holes, I thought it would either not go on or catch and bend. The action is back to its smooth old self! Next I will have to shoot it and see if the firing pin works.

By the way here's some more details of this project:
a. I bought break cleaner to clean the bolt as suggested somewhere by someone. It wasn't necessary, any old gun cleaner would have worked. $7
b. I bought a punch. I'm sure it worked better than flattened nail would have. The pins I have are solid. $6
c. I went to the farm next door and borrowed an old blacksmith's vice and installed it on a table. It would have been a pain to get the pins in and out without it.
d. I ordered the original firing pin and new spring 2nd day air, $41 total.
e. I drove 16 miles to buy another extractor that I plan on returning. $11
f. I have a old style firing pin and extractor on its way. I ordered them before I realized the local gunsmith had the part and that firing pin I had was new style not a one piece job. $28

All in all a lot of time, frustration and money for a project that I thought was going to be cheap and easy.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback,

CERW

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Cheap price for all the knowledge you gained.:flute:

Next time if not in a hurry be sure to ask. SOMEONE will know.

Dave

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
CERW, welcome to MO!! We have lots of talented folks on here when it comes to Marlins. If you have a problem ask a question, someone will have the answer, maybe even several answers. Working on your own Marlins is loads of fun, getting help from folks on MO------Priceless. Y'all take care, John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts