Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my hands today on a 1951 336A in 30wcf.
Decent hunting condition, not a safe queen and certainly not a collector.
Weaver K4-F scope, probably not originally sent back to factory to D&T the receiver.
Previous owner "took" sling with him, rear post gone, hole remains in stock, bullseye fine.
Front end cap sling attachment removed, threaded hole remains in cap.
Stock has some dents/dings, nothing I would call ugly, and could use a drink of BLO.
Don't need another 30-30, but would like to see if these are really more accurate than RC's, although, I and the peep sight will probably be the limiting factor.
We're at $325 now, plan to stand firm at 300.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Good price, needs a few new parts that are easy to replace.

Buy it, fix it and sell here for more.

But I could be.....

Here is my 1951 336, but it was converted into a 38-55 using new/old parts.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

DD

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Yes--the 336As are way more accurate for me. I got rid of all my carbines except for a '79 Texan. You can buy an end cap with swivel stud from MidwayUSA--I got one for my '49 336A 32 WSP that had the same problem that you state. My '49 336A was D&Ted too but that was fine with me since my eyes need a scope these days.

Firearm Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger

Reactions: Buffalo Jake

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If I came across a 336A for that price, I would have a friction burn on my hand from getting out my wallet out of my trousers....

Myself, I would not quibble over $25.00.

My only concern would be the condition of the bore and crown.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
$325 is a good price I would buy it!!!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Go for it! :tee:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Now you didn't REALLY expect anyone here to try to talk you out of buying that potential heirloom did you???? Seems to me that you have a great project ahead--and I agree that it would be crying shame to let it get away for $25. Consider the sentimental value someone, someday will have when they hold a rifle that you reconditioned to your personal preferences--and for only $300/$325.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks men, appreciate it, points taken.
ret eng - my "idea" that they may be more accurate came from seeing what you've written before.
chocdog, appreciate the offer, will PM you, or vice versa, go from there.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I would believe that that rifle would be more accurate than your RC. My 336SC in 32 WSP, and my 444S are the two most accurate Marlins I own, and both have the forearm caps. At $325, you are getting a heck of a nice hunting rifle.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swany, don't know much about that, but sounds like the price of venison just went up.
BUT, that would make it a heck of a PA woodchuck gun, a good way to stay tuned in during the summer.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm guilty of being born in '51 and have several A models.... including a couple from '49 and '51... need to get pics up.
I don't know that they're any more accurate than the carbines, but the longer sight radius, especially with reciever peep sights, certainly helps.
The shortcomings on the unit you're looking at are minor. If the bore is clean and the action functions well, your investment is secure. BUY IT!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.