Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1950 336a

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  edk 
#1 ·
I was at a local gun shop today saw a 1950 vintage 336a in real nice shape. The only thing I saw wrong ,was the rear stock had what looked to be a hole from a sling stud, question is did these gun have the marlin bulls eye at this year or was this hole from the stud ?

#2 ·
If it is just one hole then yes it shoud have the bullseye. Many have used this hole for a sling stud of some sort (not the proper way to do it but lots are out there). Look for a sling mount "clamped" to the mag tube or marks where one did exist. The "clamped" mag tube type sling mounts are not Marlin issue.

#4 ·
yar said:
It was a 30-30 with 24 inch barrel. It had never been tapped for scope mounts,just that hole. they were asking 240.00.
Sounds like a very good price to me - your finances are none of my business but I'm wondering why the gun isn't in your possession already?? ;D

#5 ·
one good reason..... wife :-\ I have used up all my forgiveness, I have bought about eight guns in the past year and its testing her patience! No ,really I probably grab it , its a cool gun, really in super original shape,except for that hole. It has the waffle top with no holes and a five digit serial number beginning with g. 100xx.

#10 ·
I have a '51 336A that I picked up a little while ago - I paid more for it than the one you found but its worth every penny. It is without a doubt my favorite out of all my rifles. Those early 50's Marlins are fine examples of real craftsmanship and well worth grabbing.

#15 ·
00buck said:
Layaway is a wonderful thing. I use it often. ;D
So is week end overtime. 8 or 16 hours of double time will usually pay for any guns I want to buy. While we suffer from MARLINITIS here, several of the local gun shops/pawn shops refer to me as "Mr. VAQUERO" since I look for them almost as much as MARLINS.

Go get the 336A or put it in layaway somehow. I screwed up on an Original Size VAQUEROS in 44 magnum with real stag grips for $450 and an interesting 12 gauge double for $250. You snooze, you loose.

#20 ·
cowboydave said:
You wont find another one at that price, but you can find another wife. ;D ;D
Dave
PROBLEM IS losing the one you got is d*** expensive. AND the older you are, the more likely you won't be buying many MARLINS in the future. I'm still recovering 16 years later...and 3 years away from age 65...and my lawyer made Darth Vader look like a cub scout...A fellow RVN vet who served in Special Operations Group.

I have a "last ditch emergency fund" on the dresser. How many of the state, etc quarters can you get in a 34.5 ounce FOLGERS coffee can...the local bank doesn't have a coin counter and I hate to think how long it would take to roll them up; I'm not paying 7% to the rip-off machines at grocery stores or Wally World either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.