Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to give a Big "Thank You" to fellow MO member Henry Bowman for the lead on this rifle. It was at a pawn shop about 1 1/2 hours drive from the house. After reading Henry's description of the SC I took a ride this afternoon to give it a look-see. I thought the bluing was in good shape; the stock has several "character" marks, but all in all good condition. It is one year older than me so I'm inclined to sympathize with such signs of an adventurous life. After a short discussion with the shop owner was able to get it for $250.00 plus the guv'ners cut. She cleaner up pretty well and the bore is shiney. Fired off three rounds of 150 gr. reloads and it is shooting high with the rear sight in the lowest notch. Will try it later without the elevator installed. The rear sight is rather thin sight with a narrow slit, not the Marbles type sights that I commonly find. Difficult for these old eyes to use. I'm sure I'll be looking for a peep for this one.
This rifle had the two small screws on the left side of the receiver on either side and slightly below the ejector stud hole. Are these the screw holes for mounting a peep sight such as a Williams Fool-Proof? The trigger on this rifle is blue rather than gold and the trigger pull is very light. No flop.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I reckon I won't drive down to see it now ;D

That's a purty one ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Beautiful gun! Congrats! and ya those screw holes are for a reciever mounted peep sight.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm glad somebody bought that thing. It was killing me that I wasn't able to get it myself but I'm glad I didn't. I had to spend $700.00 today on a new water heater. I didn't see that one coming. Anyway congrats on the buy. I'm glad I could help. It sure did clean up good.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Sweet rifle. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The holes in the receiver are indeed for a receiver sight, and any manufacturer's 336 sight will fit. The trigger on the earlier 336's were one piece (hence no flop and better pull), and are properly/i] finished (i. e. blued).

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Congratulations on a great looking rifle! I recently picked up a 1951 model myself.

BTW, nice addition to the pic with the Gideon NT.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very nice rifle Longfin, congratulations!

I also picked up a '51 not long ago - there's something special about those early 336 models. Mine had that really thin rear sight as well. I removed it (saved it though) and mounted a Williams 5D 94/36 using the holes on the side. It needed a taller front sight post to make it work with the peep but she's set up real nice now. Good luck and enjoy that one!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind replys all sent. Sometimes when you get a new baby like this you just have to show off pictures and would like to pass out cigars.
RevDerb: 1 Peter 3:15
Okay Henry Bowman, you know how we are on this forum, where are pictures of the hot water heater ;D Thanks again friend.
Anachronism: thanks for the response that I was hoping to get from some of you peep sighters of the older Marlins. As this one I have seems to need a higher front sight, even for the original rear sight, do you recall the height of the one you installed to go with the Williams SD 94/36? What make and model post did you select?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Longfin, nice Marlin there, glad y9u could give it a home. Nice wood and blueing. Someone has already said the two holes you asked about are indeed for mounting a receiver sight. Take care, enjoy the Marlin and thanks for the pictures, John.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is a 336A model with the front sight ramp, so that will affect sight post selection and height, but with that said...

Using a "good enough" measurement of the height of the peep above the top of the receiver, and http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html"]Skinner sights' measurement[/url] for receiver height above the bore centerline, I came up with a rear sight height of ~0.8". I measured the diameter of the barrel at the front sight, divided by 2, and subtracted the result from my 0.8" measurment to get my required front sight height above the barrel (in my case it came out to .477"). It turns out that front sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail so you have to add on the depth of the dovetail as well. After subtracting the ramp height and adding the dovetail depth I came up with a number around .360" for required sight height. I ended up ordering a Marbles sight post with the 1/16" gold bead and .375" tall since I wanted to be darn sure it was high enough and knowing that I'd have to remove a little metal from the bottom for fitting. (Actually a I messed around and ordered one that was too short before I figured out that they were measured from the bottom of the dovetail so the above is actually a condensed version).

If you have the front sight dovetailed onto the barrel then my numbers will be different from yours because you won't need to subtract ramp height. I like the Marbles sight posts for Marlin ramps, and the Lyman #3 post works well for barrel dovetails. Good luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought this 1949 Marlin for $100. One of my employees was short on cash. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Boy oh boy are you guilty of Grand Theft Marlin! That is one very pretty Marlin. You need to turn yourself in to the nearest police station. ;D

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful 1949! Okay, you bought it off an employee, but what year was that? :D I you bought it in 1951, you paid too much! If a recent purchase, you did way good ;D
What peep is that on the 1949, Mannlicher and did you have to add a taller front sight. From several posts if seems that many rifles have come from the factory shooting high.

·
Banned
199 Posts
congrats, great shape for the age. just bought the same 336sc waffle top 1952 last night for 250$, but some Bubba drilled scope holes thru the waffle pattern, it's killing me. the bluing is rough but the wood is pretty good. it also has a compass in the rear stock where you would rest your cheek, is that from the factory? anyone hear of the quality of Fords gunsmithing in Crystal River FL for re-bluing? she's spent a lot of time outdoors in Minnesota.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts