Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately when shooting my 39a I have noticed that about half of the spent cases just fall out the side and the other half get ejected a decent distance. Sometimes the cases don't get ejected at all and I have to clear it manually. I am assuming that the spring is tired and needs to be replaced, but the fact that some cases eject ok has me a bit confused. What is the opinion of the group on this? I don't know if the spring has ever been replaced. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey JVan, try looking in the stickies in the rimfire section as it has a lot of information on the subject of repairing Marlin 39s. You can also do a search on it. Good luck and take some pictures.

Matt

·
Registered
867 Posts
It sounds like it is extracting OK but not ejecting well. Try removing the ejector and clean any old powder and crud from under it. It may be sticking intermittently.
If that area under the ejector is clean and you still have the problem you may need a new ejector spring.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If the extractor does not have a good grip on the cartridge it can cause the ejector to not get a good hit to kick it clear of the action. I had one I changed the ejector to not help any thing. Then changed the spring with no improvement. Replaced the extractor and ejected empties 5-6 ft. after putting in the new one. The old extractor was well worn and was the problem on this rifle. Also had another that the ejector spring was cracked and lost a lot of its tension to kick the empties clear. Different brands of ammo with varying rim thickness can also cause poor ejection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I will try cleaning it thoroughly and also check out the extractor. I have had some issues with extraction as well, but only with a certain brand of ammo that seems to get stuck in the chamber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.