Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s my project. I posted here a few months ago about this gun (to reblue or not to reblue). Well as you can see I decided to refinish this old gun. I did a lot of research and decided to do it myself. I made a couple of tanks and went to work. Here’s the results. I had so much fun I think I will sell it and buy couple more to do. Thankfully the stock had not been cut and no scope mount holes.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I am amazed. They really look good. I thought it would be better to sent it off to have it re-blued. Looks like I was wrong. Please give me the details on what you had to do and how much it cost you.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I too would like the details of the self blue job. Have a couple I need to do. Thanx

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Hold on cowboy, get your posts up to 25 and then offer it here if you're gonna' sell it.

That is a great looking gun now. You must have some workshop space to be able to set up bluing tanks. We need details please!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not trying to sell it here. I had a post about rebluing this gun here a couple of months ago, and just wanted to post an update.

As for the details. All finish sanding should be done by hand starting with 400 grit sandpaper. The tanks can be purchased at Brownells, though I made mine with 6” square tubing by cutting the top off and making ends with it. I have a 3 burner camp stove (a big one) that I heated the salts on. The salt can also be purchased at Brownells. Or there are recipes on line. Just be very careful the chemicals are pretty nasty and extremely hot. As for the stock I am a woodworker by trade so that was easy.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Nice job on the bluing!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Turned out nice, very nice! Special caliber to me also.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Hey, amazing change. Congrats on a job very well done.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Hang on to that puppy and join Team .32 Special.

That is a great job on the bluing and wood.

Reactions: Plumber

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
How could you sell such a "special" gun? Special because it's your first. Special because that bluing came out so great. Special because it's a 1949. My only suggestion would be, you may want to go with a period correct, hand rubbed oil finish on the wood, for your next project.
Take some more pictures of that gun, with a darker background, so the gun shows up a little lighter, and post the pictures on the 32 special picture thread.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,91014.45.html

Thanks, Terry

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
How about some more details about your blueing process. Pictures of the tank you made would be nice. Any links to on line help on the process. All would be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
8) I'm impressed !! That looks like a brand new rifle! Very nice work! 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my 1949 Marlin 32 Special S.C.

32spl3.jpg 32spl1.jpg 32spl2.jpg

Just wondering what you guys think of this one 336 S.C. 1949 based on S/N in F series. I believe it's an origianal Weaver scope (3x?...my eyes don't let me see the info very well). The scope has a vertical center post that rises only 3/4 of the way to a point...and horizontal cross-hair configuration...works very well and easy to view. This was my father's rifle...I do believe everything as far as stain/finish is original. Any estimate on a value? Not shot a whole lot of times over the years...once or twice every few years to make sure it's still accurate...and otherwise only at deer.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Very nice job you did there. Seems you now have other skills to add to woodworking. Just expanded your resume so to speak. Thanks for the up-date on the project.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Very nice work there, your work and patience were worth it. I'd keep it and get another project gun to work on. Yes I know, Marlinitis, oh well, John.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here, here!!... well done!
While I prefer te thinning blue and patina of age, some recievers are just over the edge and benefit from a refinish.
The quality of the product reflects the care of your efforts.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here, here!!... well done!<BR>While I prefer te thinning blue and patina of age, some recievers are just over the edge and benefit from a refinish.<BR>The quality of the product reflects the care of your efforts.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think the OP was right, he should do a couple more rebuilds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts