Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy wanting to trade me this lever for a Ruger M77 ultralight. I have $530 invested in the ruger.
He wants to do a straight trade. Would the a 1948 336 be wort that much.

Reactions: IMR

·
Registered
797 Posts
That ole 48 looks to be in excelent condition. Even though it's been D&T'd I'd trade him the Ruger in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That's a fine looking piece with the old style scope. The only problem I see is it looks as if 4 extra holes have been drilled in it. 2 in the receiver and 2 in the BARREL. Unless that front scope mount is glued on? It doesn't look like you could change the scope out unless you had another one like that or could get that one rebuilt if you needed to. It's a very nice rifle but the detractions may be too great.

Mop

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
No - Unless you are into unorthodox scope mounts of the 40's 50's - then yes as you will not see the likes of that again. Me - I would not do the trade. I like my Marlins clean of gunsmithing.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
It looks pretty sweet... not sure on that scope mounting either as mentioned. I'm no expert on values of that rifle/scope combo, but you could always get another Ruger, but a nice '48 Marlin doesn't come around every day. Is it all original, or been refinished any? I think I'd just prefer it was in a different caliber if it were me is all... hmmm. Maybe you could negotiate a little, and/or maybe some ammo or a nice case to go with... can't hurt to ask? Good luck to you to on your decision... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I see more than 4 extra holes, those sling attachments aren't original, and it looks like the rear one is in the bullseye. I have no problem paying $530 for a vintage Marlin, but it must be unaltered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What model of Weaver scope is on the rifle? It looks like a G or J series weaver from the 1940s.. The condition of the scope and how accurately it was installed make a big diff in the value of the total package.. The scope and mounts are worth about 75$ in themselves if still in working order.

if it were me, I'd try to get 50 to $100 boot from the guy..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to pass on the deal. The receiver was drilled and a weaver scope mount installed. Barrel drilled and tapped for front scope ring but very not neatly done not drilled straight. Yes the back sling drilled into bulls eye.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
That drilling and tapping for that style of mount was done by Marlins gunsmiths back in the day if you sent it back in. Some Mounties were drilled and tapped that way for sale by Sears back when. If that was one, you could be passing up on a rare one. I don't know if Marlin done 336s for Sears in 48

Next that scope is either a 7/8th or 3/4 inch Weaver and very valuable. If it is a Lyman it is even more so, and worth a lot.

Vintage military collectors look for them as they were used as Sniper scopes in WWII. If in excellent shape it may be worth what the asking price of the rifle is.

Try to find 7/8 or 3/4 on one of the auction sights, I looked for a 7/8ths for a Sold by Sears Mountie I acquired with mounts and rings that was drilled and tapped for Sears by Marlin. Found some that were around $500-$700 range but they were listed as WWII Lyman Sniper Scopes.

There is a vintage scope restoration in a sticky in the General. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...-stuff/25939-vintage-weaver-scope-repair.html

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Scope is an early Weaver J2.5 - not worth much at all - in 3/4" Weaver mounts. The sniper scopes so sought after are the Weaver
330's, easy to spot because the windage and elevation adjustments are at the the rear of the tube. Very easy to fake with commercial
pre-war Weavers.

$530? Must be an awful lot of money burning holes in people's pockets, judging from what I see people willing to spend on pretty pedestrian guns.
Anyone want a '48 ADL?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.