Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle has an older Winchester 94 AE (I believe, it has AE stamped near the trigger) which I cannot figure out exactly what it is. It has a short magazine tube, a straight stock with checkering. Now I can find 94 AE's with stragiht stock checkering, but no short magazine tube. According to the serial # it seems to be a 1947 or so.

Its a 30-30, says 30WCF on the barrel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

photo(3).JPG

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
One thing it is not is an "AE" - an AE is cut on the right side of the receiver to facilitate the "angle ejection" which came out in the 80's or thereabouts. That is a "button magazine" and quite popular Back East. The serial number will give you a good crack at the model year. Nice looking piece...

Jeff

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Common here in the east to take a stock rifle like this Win 94 Big Bore 356, shorten the magazine. Later you discover the collectors value is destroyed, seemed like a good idea at the time:driver:

356 rifle.jpg

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response!

Any idea why it has AE above the trigger?

The serial # was something like 1,479,xxx

The site I have does not have records for 1943-1947. 1948 is 1,500,000

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh so do you think it may have been shortened after market?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
No not neccessarily, I was backing Sweetwater"s comment on the behavior of us Easterners. For all I know, that was custom work out of the Winchester Shop. No mater how you slice, your uncle has one nice rifle there!

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
The button magazine was a factory available configuration, but also popular with area gunsmiths. Certainly not a negative aspect.

Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts

The AE on the bottom near the trigger is the initials of one of Winchester's inspectors, initials are commonly found in that location. Both of those rifles pictured above appear to be cut down by other than factory. Factory mag tubes have a rounded end cap......those have the flat cap as found on full length mags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts