Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just was given my Dad's 1947 Marlin 30-30 model 36A. It is in fantastic condition. The bluing is good and consistent. The simple 36A stock is really nice and the action is smooth. I did a (non-take down) complete cleaning on it and lubed the action. Dad told me to just take it with me but ultimately I want to give him the money it's worth. All my dad ever did was shoot a few porcupines that came to chew on his tractor tires back in the 50's other than that it has just been inside a felt case my mom sewed for it all those years ago. I have no idea how accurate it is. It has never been modified and still has its original iron sites. How much is this gunworth on today's market? How accurate can you get with the original open sites? (I would like to use it as my deer rifle hopefully without ruining its rather pristine original configuration. Thanks for your incites. Randy Gardner
Marlin Model 36A 001.JPG Marlin Model 36A 002.JPG
(PS. Mention of my Remington 700 in this post is in no way an offer to sell it on this website. Sorry to have to mention it but it was pointed out to me that it may imply an attempt to sell and I am not doing that at this time.)

Follow-up on My Dad's Gun
- One of you mentioned that even though it was my idea to give dad money, in the end
he would probably tell me that he didn't want any compensation for the gun. I got a call from him and that is just what
he said. I told him I was honored to have it and reminded him of the morning when I was a kid growing up on the farm in
Vermont. As I was eating breakfast I looked out and saw a porcupine chewing on the tractor tire. I yelled to dad and he
went out with his Marlin and quickly dispatched the 'porky' and told my brother and I to pick up the quills before the dog
got into them. Dad is 85 now and had completely forgotten about the incident. I was glad to help him with the memory.
I am happy and humbled to have my dad's gun but a little sad at the same time. A Grateful Son - Randy Gardner

(I can't wait till spring or a warm-up to site her in. Iron sites first before even considering tang mounted peep.)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome from an old hunter.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada! That is a fantastic rifle, and having it passed down from your father makes it even more special. We would love to hear a range report after you get to take it out...

Cheers,
Shrupka

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome from "Way out Here" in Ga!!! Congrats to Ya on receiving your Dads Old Marlin 36! Nice Rifle, Enjoy it and Take Care of It!!!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Mark, welcome to MO from Ohio. I hope you don't have to trade in that .30/06, but I certainly understand that the value of the Marlin far exceeds that '06 due to sentimental reasons. That Marlin will always be "Dad's gun" and something to cherish. :top:

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! I have the exact same rifle, except chambered in .32 Winchester Special. I paid $600.00 for mine nearly two years ago, and it is in excellent condition as well. They are only going up in value, but hopefully that gives you an idea.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Nice rifle & Dads too, welcome from Tx.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very nice Marlin! Welcome from Jonesboro, GA

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! That's one of those "priceless" things that they talk about on the old TV commercial -- I'll bet your Dad would like to go with you on first range trip and would think that better than any payment you could give him! That's a beautiful 36! John

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
A beautiful rifle and the fact that it was your Dad's makes it invaluable. You asked how accurate it would be with iron sights, IMHO the rifle can be expected to be much more accurate than most people can fire them. All of my Marlin's are capable of shooting groups in the x ring at 100 yards, most often with at least two rounds touching. But of course due to aging eyes I now scope my rifles.

So I guess it would all depend on your eyes and shooting experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the way that Marlin shoots! Congratulations on your new to you Marlin!

Welcome to MarlinOwners and thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! That's one nice rifle there... enjoy!

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Welcome to Marlinowners first off, secondly I edited your post regarding the '06, you opened the door for selling an item without having the required 25 posts and that was outside of the trading forum. When you get your 25 posts, feel free to put the '06 up for sales and please do read the rules. Based on the two on Gunbroker right now, I'd venture $450.00-$500.00 for the 36. Mr Fixit

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York.

Keep it, shoot it, enjoy it. If you did get rid of it you will kick your self in the butt, for not having it to pass on when the time comes. Thats History.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Beautiful rifle, and from your dad to you, doesn't get any better than that.

Welcome from western Pa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for understanding the strong sentiment I have for the gun. I am not done with the cleaning and reconditioning. I did a fair job with it at Dad's house and showed him what it looked like cleaned up but now that it is home with me I want to spend some time on it. I have already called a friend to go do some range work at his house but it is winter in Vermont and a bit cold for comfortable target work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Give him $400 and you'll both be happy!! He's not wanting you to pay for it and not expecting anything for it. Four bills will make him happy and you'll get a good price on something you'll cherish the rest of your life!
Oh yea also welcome from Missouri!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts