Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here guy's. Ran up on a 1947 36 A 30-30. Guy wants $600 for it and I'm just not sure. Seems they're pretty rare as I've never seen one and he say's he's traveled quite extensively and hasn't seen another. Phone pic's that I can't download looks real good. It has a marble peep sight on the tang and another mount on the side that he say's is for a small Saturn scope. Say's he will remove if I don't want it and has the original rear sight for it. Stock has a few small scratches and bluing is nice with no wear spots from carry. Guess it doesn't hurt that it's my birth year but I'm not figuring into the buy. He's had it for 20 years and shot it 30 times, claims he can make 2 inch groups with peep at 100 yards. I really like that 24 inch barrel and short mag tube. What y'all think ?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. Still haven't made up my mind and another question comes to mind. What loads will be safe to shoot with the ballard barrel or will it be necessary to load my own.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
From what Ive been told for my 49 336A 30-30, which also has the ballard rifling, the factory loads are fine. I have shot some factory rounds through mine but I reload my own though, and use 30 gr. of 3031 behind a 150 gr. bullet. (probably not as hot a load as factory) My 49 is is really good shape, never drilled for a scope and the bluing is not perfect but still nice and I would want going on that price for mine if it was for sale. Because of the year, I think its not a bad price, but I`m no wheeler dealer

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the receiver was drilled for the scope mount, it sounds a little high. If the Saturn scope (trying to remember, were they kinda like the Boone sight?) uses screw holes already there, (kinda doubt it, but ya never know!), that's a decent price. 2" 100 yard groups? Believe it!! My 47 36A shades that with a peep sight, time and again too, not just once! They can be real shooters. If the woods in good shape, all the parts are there, and it hasn't been drilled and tapped, go for it.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Buy face to face if you possibly can. That way you can verify the details and you won't get scammed.

The tang sight light alone is probably worth 100.00.

It will easily handle factory ammo. No problem.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It hasn't been drilled n tapped and he said the mount on the side used the factory drilled holes. Only thing that's worrying me at this point is the statement he made about the finish at the edges of the buttplate flaking off. I'm hoping someone hasn't refinished with the wrong material. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and will report back.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Sounds like the rifle could have been refinished--my 1950s Marlins have an oil finish. That price of $600 is about what you would pay in my locale if the rifle isn't D&Ted or substantially altered.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the rifle could have been refinished--my 1950s Marlins have an oil finish. That price of $600 is about what you would pay in my locale if the rifle isn't D&Ted or substantially altered.

Thanks for the info. I know it's not D&Ted but that flaking on stock concerns me. From the pic I have on the phone it looks really nice but until you have it in your hand you just don't know. What does the ADL stand for.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Go for it; with the new LeverE ammo you'll be shooting 300 Savage specs, and I'd believe the 2" groups--if I had my grandkid's eyes. For a DL, that's a steal.
windy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.