Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1947 36RC with a Bishop buttplate.***NEW PICS***

I'm interested in a Marlin36RC made in 1947 but the buttplate says bishop on it, I'm pretty sure it's not an original buttplate, anyone can confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
Well, it doesn't look like a Bishop stock. Doesn't mean it isn't. But this is the type of Bishop stock I'm used to seeing...

Bishop.jpg

Maybe it's just a Bishop buttplate... They were a supplier for the Marlin Custom shop, if memory serves...

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
I strongly suspect an aftermarket stock and definitely the buttplate. The reason I don't think the stock is factory as it has no flutes at the comb that were on the factory guns.

Nothing to be ashamed of on a 71 year old well taken care of gun that can probably tell many tales and maybe has "seen the elephant". (Not an actual pachyderm but an expression)

AC

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
gunscrewguy, are you sure 1947 36RC has the flutes at the comb? I checked many of them on the web and most do not have the flutes.
Here's mine from 1947 36RC. Never seen a configuration like it with forend cap and not barrel band with 20" barrel. Guessing it was a parts clean up just before the 336 came out. I used it in Missouri's 2018 deer season with success.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some pics of the rifle, the condition is not great, the forend has a large void, many of the screws are buggered, the wood has been varnished by someone in the past (look old) and the blue has almost completely disappeared but I still like it, I have some old screws and maybe I will try to repair the forend and remove the varnish from the wood. I also ordered a Model 39A buttplate from GunGrip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts