Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Capitol 'C' 1945?
Does anyone know how many of them were made in 1945/1946,

I have seen a couple of 1945 39a 's with case colored receivers and this one is blued. Did they make both that year.

The front site hood is not the old round style. I guess it got replaced.

The mag tune is brass not aircraft alum. Is that correct as I thought that brass would have been in high war demand.

The finish did not look to be an oil finish,. More like a stain and varnish. Is this correct.

I think i am going to get it anyway,. Just need some backing on the 1945 as it seem different than my 1958 39a, Ny 1954 mountie, and my 1980's versions of the two.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What you have probably is a put-together from what parts were on hand left over from before the war plus whatever they could produce in those few months after reconfiguring for civilian production. No "just-in-time" manufacturing in those days, parts were run off in batches. So 39s from those early post-war times could probably have any mix of parts. Brass tubes were probably left over from pre-war production. So kind of interesting from a collector's point of view. Pre-Micro-Groove, of course. From a practical standpoint, the question would be, how does it shoot?

Stan S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts