Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The action of my 336 is smooth as silk compared to my winchester 94, which made me wonder . . . Does the square bolt in the action of a 1893/93/1936/36 feel just as smooth as a 336? Or a bit more clunky like a winchester 94? Is there something inherantly "smoother" about that round bolt?

Ooo, wife keeps saying bin laden is dead, better go check the news

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
The differences in "feel" are more because of how they do what they do than bolt shape. A square bolt Marlin operates exactly like a round bolt Marlin, so neither is more prone to smoothness than the other. Age as much as anything else smooths them out. Winchesters just have alot more moving parts but they can be as smooth as a Marlin. I have a Rossi Win 92 repro thats smoother than any Marlin I have, though a couple old ones come close.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If the Winchester 94 didn't accomplish what it does in such a slim, small, light receiver, it would be downright ridiculous -- a real Rube Goldberg design. But it DOES accomplish what it needs to accoumplish, and does it brilliantly. A 94 will never be as smooth as a well-worn-in '93, 36 or 336 because of all the levers and cranks involved, but then a 336 will never be quite as light or handy as a 94, either. Both are wonderful guns.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I have a 1947 Marlin model 36 in 30-30 (square bolt) and a 1999 Marlin 336CB in 38-55. The 336CB has more than 3,300 rounds through it, the 30-30 an estimated 450-500 rounds.
The actions smoothness favors the 336CB, but I feel it is only because of the much larger number of times the action has been cycled.
If I cycle them, each being empty, I can barely notice the difference. But, loaded the 38-55 feels about 20%-25% easlier to cycle. Shenandoah

·
Registered
275 Posts
For a rifle set up to cycle .30-30 length cartridges the Marlin is and always was the better rifle (or carbine :)) No disrespect to my first love, the Winchester 94, but it's the truth! I think Winchester had a headstart in marketing and name recognition, but the toggle action of the Winchester feels like it is working against itself when compared to the simple action of a Marlin '93, 36, or 336. I still like old Winchesters and have 3 old 94's, but since Marlin rifles stole my heart away the Winchesters and I have to just be friends. 8)

Cedar Creek

1892 Winchester vs 1894 Marlin - too close to call. :-*

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I would have to say the 93,36 are just as smooth as the 336's.Cant really tell much difference.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My closet exceeds levergunz by only a little with 1893s, 93s, 1936s, 36, and 336s 48 through 55... with some "A" models too.
All are a delight to handle, none less than smooth and all are shootin' jennys!
The '94 winnies are nice when well broken in and an old grey edged '92 is an action to behold.

On balance the heart goes with grey beard Marlins...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts