Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring Sprung!
I recently purchased a 1929 lever action 410 in beautiful shape. After putting a few shells through it, it was clear the loading spring (loading gate spring?) was not returning to the closed position. Once the loading spring was removed, it appears the piece has lost its temper. It can be easily bent but it has no spring.
Does anyone know if the spring can be reconditioned? If not, is there an identical replacement spring available from a different model lever action? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,706 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think they are spring steel... Re-tempering is going to be a question for a metallurgist... And there are a few on this site... Finding a new or good used one is going to be a chore I'm sure...

Someone on here may know of one from a different model that would fit...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Can you post a link or picture ? If it's a simple coil spring I have made them on a lathe using the screw cutting thread, and a piece of barstock to wrap the spring around. Use piano wire or similar, and the correct size... takes a few times to get it right, but it's pretty easy peasy

·
Registered
14,213 Posts
Brownell sells flat spring stock and also flat stock for springs that you work cold then temper. I have used it with good results making
springs for H&R and similar revolvers. I would check out 1893 parts too, I think they use the same part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts