Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a strong like or dislike for the flat or arched main spring housing on a 1911 .45? I have big hands and seem to shoot better with the arched housing on my Colt as opposed to the flat housing on my new Remington. Maybe I'm just more used to the arched housing.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
I also shoot better with the arched housing, it seems when I use the flat ones, I always shoot low, so I typically change them out on my 1911's

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
They are changeable as HCS mentioned. Arched housings tend to work better for larger handed folks. Straight housings tend to work better for smaller handed folks. My little girlie hands like the bobtailed versions best.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I too like a handgun to fill my hand.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Just another great thing about 1911 design. Modern auto designs hype interchangeable backstraps...the 1911 has had it for over 100 years. I can work with either, but a flat housing with a high ride beavertail works best with my thumbs-forward grip.

At one time Ed Brown offered a mainspring housing called "The Wedge" that was a compromise between a flat and arched housing, but apparently no longer does so. Wilson does offer a somewhat similar design called the 'V grip".

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I'm with Hill Country Shooter. I shoot low with the flat mainspring housing. I replaced my plastic flat one on my Kimber with an arched stainless Wilson Combat. To be perfectly honest, it's better but the 1911 just doesn't fit me very well. It feels like it's going to twist out of my hand. The Browning HI-Power is another story, they fit me like a glove and I can shoot them so much better. I still keep one 1911 around just because of John Browning.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
I think for a lot of us it comes down to what we're used to, and the other guns we're shot that influence our decision. For me, a latecomer to the 1911, I preferred the arched housing because every 1911 I'd handled or shot had one. The first time I shot a 1911 with the flat housing it felt odd and foreign to me. And I have little girly hands too!

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
The beauty of the 1911: Accessories up the wazoo are out there at reasonable prices to make it the perfect tool for the individual. AC

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I also shoot better with the arched housing, it seems when I use the flat ones, I always shoot low, so I typically change them out on my 1911's
That's exactly why Colt went to the arch main spring housing on the then new 1911-A1, when the design was changed from a plain ol' 1911. The arched main spring housing does something in the beginnings of recoil to make the gun fire to a higher point of aim.

That said, I prefer a flat MSH, as it makes the gun feel much better in my hand.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
To be perfectly honest, it's better but the 1911 just doesn't fit me very well. It feels like it's going to twist out of my hand. The Browning HI-Power is another story, they fit me like a glove and I can shoot them so much better.
No disrespect to the great Hi-Power, but that feeling is far more an effect of the greater torque imparted by the the heavier, larger diameter slug of the .45 ACP, compared to the 9mm, than it is the differences in design between the two pistols. A high, thumbs-forward grip, as demonstrated by Todd Jarrett in the picture below, with the left wrist locked down and forward, will go a long ways in minimizing the effect of that greater torque and recoil.

Slightly thicker grips, or those with a taper from back to front, with the rear of the grip wider than normal, can also make a difference for those with large hands.

Roe

·
Registered
793 Posts
Like both, shoot buy, would take either if given to me :tee:

Guess like Wilson's V grip I'm stuck in the middle on this debate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Started shooting with a Navy issued 1911, tried both, keep going back to flat. Even though I have smaller hands, may be just what I am used to. Currently shooting a Springfield Range Officer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.