Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Well I guess I am outdated also. I still rather have 1911's, old trucks, women and 4wheelers! LOL

View attachment 760761
Are you callin me old? Very nice 1911 there, looks right. Sights, flat MSH, no cuts on the frame behind trigger guard and the thumb safety. All looks on the money. Very nice. I dont see many correct ones these days.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I currently do not own one but have had a few over the years. Now that they are outdated and obsolete maybe I can get a good deal on one, anyone trying to liquidate their outdated 1911s? I sure like my plastic XD45 but nothing beats the feel of a good rock solid 1911 in your hand. And as was stated earlier it was designed as a battle weapon first and foremost. Simple design, few parts, and shoots a 230 gr projectile, whats not to like? I suggest that if you can't get the job done in 7 230 gr rounds your in way to deep anyway.

Now I will look at all the pics and reviews in this thread so I am able to pick the best one out there

·
Super Moderator
23,471 Posts
I'm not a pistol guy by any means. I only own a Ruger Mark 1 and an old Colt
32 wheel gun.
I did have a real nice 1911 for awhile and I enjoyed it. I don't know that if I was
going to conceal carry, a 1911 would be my 1st choice, but it wasn't designed
for that.
For it's intended purpose, at the time it was designed and when our military
adopted it, it was a fine weapon.
I believe if it was then, it still is. I know for sure there is nothing wrong with a 45ACP.
If it was, they wouldn't be making newer handguns in this round.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My only wish for the 1911 is that it would not have the grip safety. There is a guy on Arfcom that had an operator error (and not in a match either) with his 1911 with it’s grip safely. He got through it but he no longer carries one just because of the grip safety. I prefer the HiPower just for that reason. You could pin it but I don’t know that I want to go to a civil trial like that when the inevitable lawsuit gets filed. (Unless your State has a law against that, all States should)

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is just one mans opinion. Who ever wrote that articles obviously is speaking out of, well you know what I mean. I own three very accurate shooting 1911's. I have always favored all metal handguns, its just what I like. But the 1911 has always been my all time favorite semi-auto pistol. The 1911 is an excellent design that has been around this long because IT WORKS. It is second to none IMO. Although, some 1911's were made to hold 10 rounds, I believe Para Ordinance had one, I have always preferred the single stack version. With proper ammunition it can be use for hunting, and makes an excellent gun for SD as well. They are very reliable pistols, even the cheap one's. Now I am talking about the commanders and government models. Now you can all rave about your plastic guns all you want, I have nothing against plastic guns, as I own one as well. A Glock 19 which I like and carry sometimes as a sidearm when hunting. But it doesn't come close to what my 1911's can do, especially in the accuracy department. I think some men just don't like, own, or carry 1911's because the bottom line is, they just can handle them. Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers out there. Just my opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you callin me old? Very nice 1911 there, looks right. Sights, flat MSH, no cuts on the frame behind trigger guard and the thumb safety. All looks on the money. Very nice. I dont see many correct ones these days.
Thanks it was manufactured in 1919 and still in great shape. Hard to believe it will turn 100 yrs old this Dec. 26

Here is a 1925 that is nice.

1925 1.jpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
My only wish for the 1911 is that it would not have the grip safety. There is a guy on Arfcom that had an operator error (and not in a match either) with his 1911 with it’s grip safely. He got through it but he no longer carries one just because of the grip safety. I prefer the HiPower just for that reason. You could pin it but I don’t know that I want to go to a civil trial like that when the inevitable lawsuit gets filed. (Unless your State has a law against that, all States should)

Here you go. This is a Star Model B in 9mm parabellum, they made some in 9mm largo and 45acp. You can usually find them reasonably priced and are great guns.

107_3381.JPG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thats funny! Im going to keep my 1911’s. But already got rid of my Glock 43, taking my Glock23 to the shop tomorrow. Lol
They arent bad, just dont like the feel of them. The grip feels like a boxed deck of playing cards, to me. Ive got normal size hands, but short fingers, lol Like my 1911’s, yeah I know short fingers, yes Im Irish, did the job, got 2 daughters in their 20’s now. They will probably inherit my 1911’s, when my time comes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t think he was trashing the 1911 and he’s correct about a lot of what he wrote. I don’t know if obsolete is really the right word though.
They are much heavier and have lower capacity than a modern pistol, even when both are 45’s. They ARE expensive compared to those same weapons. Those are just facts. I don’t agree on his take on reliability, at least not in my experience using 1911s in competition, they have been excellent, but still, under extreme circumstances like sand and mud, they will stop functioning long before a glock.
He states at the end he enjoys shooting them and acknowledged they are still suitable defensive weapons. I think we all know that.
I LOVE shooting my 1911s, in both 45 and 10mm, used to compete with them and still would if i was still doing that. But for me now, they are range and sporting guns, not a daily carry.
I sure wouldn’t feel ‘undergunned’ carrying one of mine, mostly they are just bigger and heavier than I want to carry, but if I was going into what i knew was a combat situation or some off in the middle of know where military mission i’d probably be carrying my glock.
I don’t think it takes away from the respect and love for the 1911 to say that. In fact I’d sell all my polymer guns before I part with my 1911s.
I love old corvettes too, fun to drive and pretty fast, but they are not as reliable, fast or good handling as a modern version.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I love 1911's,have wanted one since I was a kid.Have buddies that have them and shoot them a lot.I do have a citadel m-19911-22tac that I bought for my boys,fun to shoot.I will have to wait on a 1911,seems I've caught a bad case of Marlinitis!

·
Registered
634 Posts
The author strikes me as a millennial... finding fault with something that works, and still works, as designed, and complaining like a fanboy because it is not "newest" and "latest."

He complains about weight... the 1911 weighs less than my NM Vaqueros.
Cupcakes and limp wrists should avoid both, and stick to their phones.

Here in CA, 10 rounds is the legal limit.
I don't see the single stack 1911 as a problem, as it is CA compliant in this regard.

However, I do see CA eventually banning all pistols and leaving revolvers alone.

I do not own a 1911, but as a kid I learned on one.
Sad to say, my Dad gave it to a friend before he died..

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The 1911A1. True story from Korea and I got told it by the two men who were there. It seems the US troops were not allowed alcohol on the front lines. My Scottish friends traded a bottle of scotch for a 1911A1 with holster and spare magazines. A couple of days later they were attacked by the Chinese, waves of them coming uphill at their positions. The guy told me how his Lee Enfield ran dry, as he searched for another clip a Chinese soldier clutching an SMG appeared over him. He grabbed the Colt and fired one round. The soldier vanished and the battle continued. After they were beaten back the soldier and his mate, I personally talked to them both, took a look over the parapet. There the guy was, laid out with a neat central impact. One shot, well placed by a well trained and cool soldier in the heat of a moment few can know and less imagine.

They laughed as they told me the story, 'best bottle of scotch they ever bought, and never drunk'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The more people try to make the 1911 into a useless relic, the more its position in history and everyday use is proven. Seems odd that a useless relic is constantly being brought back into service by some of the most elite fighting units in the world, from military to LE. I think I will stick with mine and look for a few more. Should be plenty for sale if it is so worthless.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Goodness I remember when in the trade picking up a large consignment of 1911s. Must have been fifty or so. All WW2 issue. I remember fishing out any not made by Colt. There were Remington's, a Union Switch and Signal and unless memory is playing tricks, a Singer. I may be mistaken about the last, not sure. All worth more money. I stripped and cleaned them, even played swichers with the grips. Some were damaged, some guns were better than others.

Had the same experience with a quantity of Browning HPs. WW2 vintage, mainly Canadian with the hump on the back of the slide. Some adjustable rear sight ones, made for the Chinese I think. Then one or two that looked more modern and had Nazi stamps. Turned out the Germans made them under occupation. How they ended up in the same lot, I have no idea?

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
When I was in the Army both state side and RVN the bulk of 1911s were Remington Rand. I did see a few Colts and "1" Ithaca. Never saw a Singer or US&S in issue. I noticed most of the parade guns were Colt and possibly never fired. The rest of the 1911s in service were basically parts guns. We got stuck on an ammo dump for a few days. To kill time in the daytime we walked around nosing into
conexes. We were in one that was full of brand new 1911 parts except for frames. Only two of us had issue 1911s so we took the opportunity to rebuild ours.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts