Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I like how the 45 ACP is always outdated because of modern advancements. Do those "advancements" not apply to the 45?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I owned a few 1911's back in the day. I'll stick with my S&W M&P 45 Shield. I would just go with a M&P 2.0 45 or Walther PPQ 45 for a full size myself. I also own a lot of SA revolvers and love the nostalgia but personally not going to CCW with them. I would buy another 1911 if the right deal came along for nostalgia and fun, but it wouldn't be for CCW. It's like playing a round of golf with nothing but a 9 iron. You can do it, but why when there's a whole bag of other clubs better suited for the purpose? JMHOYMMV

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
Love the 45 in my Colt 1911, had several over the years. This one is a duty gun from the 80's. Some 'reliability' work by a local pro, nothing more done to it, zero problems. That said, I'm paying attention to the kids around me (mostly ex-military) that are really ......well, damned better all around than we were. Looking (said looking) at the newer high capacity 9mm offerings for concealed carry. Understand now that the 9mm has come a long way. Not jumping the 1911 ship at all, nor ever will. I am however, paying attention toward other possible CC options. .....Why the concern after all these years? Not sure, but it's on my mind.

John

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The author is a vet, and instructor. He is entitled to his opinion. I however disagree with his conclusions. I have the same qualifications and maybe, thanks to more years a bit more. I can argue each of his points and add some. For one thing the 1911 is a simple design. It can be disassembled all the way, in your kitchen and parts replaced easily. Modern handguns are often way to complex. Less parts, more reliability, plus those parts are robust, not small and delicate. It is a fighting handgun, not an expresso machine.

Weight? Yes, they can be heavy. Weight decreases recoil and makes follow up shots easier. Lighter guns jump around. Capacity, very few gunfights need more than three of four rounds and the .45acp is a proven stopper. And yes, you get more in the 9mm and good, you may need them.

Each of his points can be countered. Too heavy for everyday carry? I carried a light weight commander for a spell, ally frame. Oh, that was also in 9mm which carried more rounds. The 1911 is effective and proven. In a defensive handgun thats gold dust as with any product or design.

Afterthought, when a gun jams or goes dry and the attacker is in your face, I would rather hit him with a steel club than a tupperware special. And another, the safety on the 1911 is superior to most. Glocks dont even have one. Think they do? Ask a gun grabber. Just maybe ask someone who has had a grabber. Oh right, that would be me. The 1911, and those with similar safeties can save your life.

There are alternatives, and some offerer advantages. But the bottom line, the 1911 has never been bettered.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Well, Heck, I didn't know all that or I wouldn't have carried (and used) a 1911 for most of my adult life (will be 73 this year).

As said, I can easily counter each of his negative points but there is no need as everyone who is familiar with the 1911 can attest.

The one point that did really stick in my craw was "unreliable." Say WHAT? My Kimber carry has had thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup and has eaten everything I've put through it to include handloads.

The best I can say is, he's entitled to his opinion. Just would have been a bit better if he wasn't so sanctimonious about it.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
it reminds me of the time I went into a new gun shop in a little town I grew up in. I walked in, looked around and all I see is a sea of black plastic "guns" the man behind the counter asked can I help you? I said do you have any used guns? he smirked and said, no we do not, used guns aren't any good! we have all the newest ones. I said well somebody must have forgot to tell that to all the deer I kill every year with the antique ones I use. he looked at me like I was an idiot. I don't go there anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
If the SHTF ever happened, I will pick up a 1911A1 first. .45, .40 or 9mm, I would manage. But it would be the 1911 every time. A 1911 with a half dozen spare parts will last longer than most people will live.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
"The 1911 platform is a big, heavy, and expensive option compared to the rest of the market. I don’t doubt someone with a 1911 can defend themselves. However, I can do the same thing with a lighter, easier-to-carry weapon with double the capacity."
Smaller, lighter and cheaper isn't always the answer either! I guess that's why there's chocolate AND vanilla!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The author's youth and lack of experience with handguns is to be excused. With time he may learn what really works if he has to go in harm's way with a handgun. Afghanistan and the Gulf conflicts are not especially instructive of what constitutes a superlative handgun.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
if it came down to it in "most situations" I would take the 1911 in 45 every time. it takes 3 or 4 shots with a 9mm to get the job done, where it only takes one shot to do the same job with a 45,,,,,,,,,,,,

"A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'"

1 - 20 of 80 Posts