Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
Yep, you're a sick man but I have to admit, you have good taste in grips! Awesome.

Jack

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Those should make a true BBQ gun, but you need a 12 step intervention program, and FAST !.................

And while you're in the program studying, I'd be glad to take care of those grips.............

Very Nice............

Tom

·
Registered
295 Posts
I truly don't see an issue. I had a set of Grashorn grips for about 6 months before I found a 1911 that I wanted. So, you are saying that buying grips before you have the gun constitutes a problem? Then I guess I have a problem. lol

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
You don't have a problem, I do it all the time. For instance, I acquired dies and all the components for reloading 45-70 quite awhile before I found the rifle I wanted. I've been known to buy holsters for pistols I don't have just because I know I'm going to get one and it frequently takes a long time to have a holster made. I just thought all that was normal!

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Those are sharp. I have a set of Grasshorns on a S&W K frame. The below pic is from a retired guy who makes Colt Python and Trooper stag grips. Unfortunately, nothing for the 1911. These are the best stag grips I have ever seen. I begged him to make me 1911 and Diamondback grips, but he is sticking to his guns so to speak.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I use to make a lot of 1911 grips for something to do when I was overseas. I made the plexi glass ones to put pictures in but most
guys wanted the ones with Vietnamese coins inlaid into them. I still have a pair I brought home. Now I make them with pewter, poured
into a design and worked down with the wood. I trace pattern on grips with pencil and dremil it out. Undercut the edges of design with
Dremil and put brass tacks in from back side, cut tacks below flush and flux. When pewter is pored in it solders to tacks helping hold
it tight. If wood is to thin heat will burn the undercut area. Use at least 3/8" stock. When you are done sanding pewter design will look
like it grew there.

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
I use to make a lot of 1911 grips for something to do when I was overseas. I made the plexi glass ones to put pictures in but most
guys wanted the ones with Vietnamese coins inlaid into them. I still have a pair I brought home. Now I make them with pewter, poured
into a design and worked down with the wood. I trace pattern on grips with pencil and dremil it out. Undercut the edges of design with
Dremil and put brass tacks in from back side, cut tacks below flush and flux. When pewter is pored in it solders to tacks helping hold
it tight. If wood is to thin heat will burn the undercut area. Use at least 3/8" stock. When you are done sanding pewter design will look
like it grew there.

That sounds pretty cool. Show us some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Will do, I have to make a set in near future for a local. Black walnut, he wants a steer head skull. I will take pics in
steps. A lot of times use a picture off advertisement. Just black out back with soft lead pencil and transfer it on to
grip panel. The only draw back to poured pewter is you can't get fine detail. To put that in I use ice picks with ends
ground down like engraving chisels. Do it before I start to work grip down with wood and the sanding will take off
the raised edges and leave desired lines. It is really pretty easy and the nature of 1911 and other auto with flat
slab grips are the easiest to make. The only way you can screw up is mis locate grip screw/ insert holes. I have a
set of GI grips that I use to locate these holes. First thing I do after I figure best way for grain in wood. Then use
these holes to fasten grip panel to a piece of 1x to do the dremil & pour.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.