Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home from a local gun show. As usual most guns were overpriced. But they did have an 1893, manufactured 1899, by date, 184070, no color on the receiver or barrel, stock and fore arm refinished, glossy..38-55, 26" barrel...they want $1100.00 for it. I like the gun, but think it is way over priced for condition. Would like some input on price.
thanks Philip

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
cobirdhunter - The price of 1893 Marlins is out of wack in my opinion. They run from under $800 to more than $1,500 for no logical reason. I believe the two primary things to look at closely is the condition of the bore, and has the barrel been tampered with (cut down, sights replaced, ect). I would think for $1,100 dollars the rifle should be fairly good condition, Barrels are difficult to come by and a reline adds a few hundred dollars to the overall cost. Most wood work (except total stock replacement) can be done by the average person using the tips found on this site. Good luck. Shenandoah

·
Registered
423 Posts
Phil...Which gun show did you go to? I promise I will not buy the 1893 you are interested in!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bii...It is a local show in Canon City......at the 4H building....address is 1595 S. 9th Street....Go for it...to rich for my blood

The cell for the guys shop outside Denver is....303-249-7765, store...303-366-2370

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I just came home from a local gun show. As usual most guns were overpriced. But they did have an 1893, manufactured 1899, by date, 184070, no color on the receiver or barrel, stock and fore arm refinished, glossy..38-55, 26" barrel...they want $1100.00 for it. I like the gun, but think it is way over priced for condition. Would like some input on price.
thanks Philip
Phil,
This is not an attack/criticism of you, but I hope the other senior enablers will chime in. Forget about the price of that gun. However, the way you phrased the condition made me think that you feel that a gun from 1899 that does not show case coloring or bluing is a noticeable fault. Isn't that what should be expected for a gun that is 115 years old that was not a safe queen? Almost every 1893 that I have been looking at shows that kind of condition regardless of the price. :hmmmm:

John

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drjjdc.....No problem, really was just not sure if that was a good price or not. I've got a 25-20 that's 114 years old in the same condition. Like I said, just not sure of price.
If I had the funds I would have bought it.
Thanks
Philip

·
Registered
423 Posts
birdhunter...

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I could get up there today, Sunday.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Old guns are like pretty girls, it's what is inside that counts. Shenandoah has given you some excellent guide lines. What more can I say.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
drjjdc.....No problem, really was just not sure if that was a good price or not. I've got a 25-20 that's 114 years old in the same condition. Like I said, just not sure of price.
If I had the funds I would have bought it.
Thanks
Philip
Phil,
BTW now I put my thinking cap on, I would say that gun is overpriced too by a few hundred bucks. But it is just like an art auction if you really want it you will pay more.:)
John

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I have been watching an 1893 in 38-55 for about a week now it was full octagon take down. Well to-day couldn't find the add anywhere so emailed the seller and he said it was sold. I just couldn't pull the trigger and now that it's gone I am pissed at myself for not buying it, good price $750. Oh well you win some and you lose some. eh

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Nedckampet,

Sometime you have go with your heart! And pull the trigger. Last sat. Their was a nice 1893 deluxe on GB and I bid 1000 and didn't hit the reserve, he had a buy now for $2000 I sent seller a note and called him. He told me it belonged to his dad who passed in 1959 and hadn't been shot since. He said he watched his dad shoot deer in his Apple orchard. Well talking with him for near an hour I told i would buy now! It was only on auction a few hrs.
Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Clark

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input about the rifle....if I would have had the cash I would have bought it. Bill, if you go after it I hope you get.

thanks
Philip

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I was on the hunt for an 1893 in 38-55 since I know'd they existed (Thanks Wind). Got REAL serious a year ago and down right obsessive about it after the Happenz 3 (Thanks SgtDog). The prices varied a lot. My main concern was a good bore. I bid on some up to 3K (real looker) and lost out on some in the $1500-$2k range. It took me a while to get comfortable going that much but I did. The good deals get snatched up quick.

I was finding anything under $1k generally wasn't real pretty and the bores to be suspect at best. The wood showed a lot of "experience" too.

Around $1500 the rifles started looking nicer and the bores a bit more promising.

$2000 got you a nice looking rifle.

After looking at a whole bunch of them I happened onto this one. An 1899 vintage

I got it at the low end of my zone figuring I could probably get it shooting well for $1200-1500. It did take some work. The stock had a repairable crack. The firing pin was broken. The rifling was barely visible in parts of the barrel and absent in others. As it turned out with a package worth of Lead Away patches, two bore brushes and a few glugs of every type of bore cleaner I had onhand, the rifling did reappear along the entire length of the bore.

After testing some loads at the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch last week, I feel like I stole it.

Three shots, 150 yards, seated, off the Okanogan Shooting Sticks, iron sights, The U-Pick Standard Unique load...

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Nedckampet,

Sometime you have go with your heart! And pull the trigger. Last sat. Their was a nice 1893 deluxe on GB and I bid 1000 and didn't hit the reserve, he had a buy now for $2000 I sent seller a note and called him. He told me it belonged to his dad who passed in 1959 and hadn't been shot since. He said he watched his dad shoot deer in his Apple orchard. Well talking with him for near an hour I told i would buy now! It was only on auction a few hrs.
Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Clark
I saw that gun and your bid-----didn't keep track of it --I wondered how you made out. Be nice to hear the particulars when you do get it. Congrats.

Steve--:tee:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input about the rifle....if I would have had the cash I would have bought it. Bill, if you go after it I hope you get.

thanks
Philip
I may drop into the Pueblo show this weekend. That old gal may just be there. I'll have a look.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
CJ57,

No wonder that wood looks so good on that rifle. Not being shot from 1959 (that's about 55 years) always help the furniture! :)
A beautiful gun, congrats!
John

Reactions: cj57
1 - 20 of 20 Posts