Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I ran across a brand new, still in the box Marlin 1897 Texan. This was the first time I've ever seen one of these and it handled really nice with the straight grip and extra heft of the full octogon barrel but I'm still suffering a bit from sticker shock. $530 just seems aweful high for a .22. Has anybody else seen one of these and if so, what kind of a price did they have on it?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've seen two recently one was $500 and the other $550. I don't know if they sold but I'm kicking myself for not picking one up for $400 last year.

It does seam like a lot for just a 22 but I caved and paid a ransom for a Mountie that was in nice shape. Passed on a few that were a over a hundred less but not as nice. I can't say I reget it though. I finally have one and I find it infinately more satisfying than what I probably would have done with the extra cash had I not found one. Not the best deal I've gotten but it was the best gun I purchased.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I paid $655.00 NIB for mine out-the-door slightly over two years ago. Things are more expensive in Puerto Rico and that included taxes and registration. At the time I remember seeing them at Davidson's for $750.00 and all over the net between $600.00 and $700.00. :shock:

I'm very happy with it and MUCH prefer its looks, with the straight grip and 20" barrel to that of the 39A. 8)

Did change the sights for a Williams FP peep in the rear and repalced the front with a firesight. It was that or (gasp) scoping it, as I couldn't see anything otherwise. :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'd really like to go back and pick it up because it was a really fine little rifle but for another $79 I can have that 1895CB in .45-70 that I've been wanting. Besides, the two 39A's that I already have might get jealous. I think I'm going to continue to hold on to the hope that sooner or later I'll run across an 1894M or that Marlin will begin to produce a lever action .22 magnum again. However, it will be hard to keep walking past that sweet little rifle and not take her home.

Luis, if you would have put a scope on that Texan I would have been forced to call the Marlin Police on you as that would have been crime for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
luisyamaha said:
... Did change the sights for a Williams FP peep in the rear and repalced the front with a firesight. ...
luisyamaha,

Would you mind giving me the Williams parts numbers for the FP peep and the Firesight you are using? Thanks!

Regards Bill :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I got the Williams FP sight and the fiber optic sight from Brownells. Their part number was #962-200-039 for the Williams FP-39, $48.95. And #638-000-014 for the DOVM420 .420 fiber optic sight, $16.80. I also got #579-087-100, 001187 Marble #87 dovetail blank, $3.34, to cover up where I removed the stock rear sight. Also got two different aperture sizes to fit the sight so I could try them out. Those were #080-766-381 fot a 3/8 X .050" aperture and #080-766-383 for a 3/8 X .125" aperture. $7.19 each.

Hope this helps.

Luis

G

·
I still like my 1897T , but wish I had also bought the 1897CB version that was made for a couple years before the 1897T. Only difference is barrel length. The T is 20" and the CB is 24".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts