Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an 1897 Century Limited. It is new (never fired, never in the field), in the original box. It is perfect in every way.

It is a beautiful gun. It is (relatively) expensive at $699.

That's a lot of money for a .22. That's a lot of money for a gun that won't be fired. But, is that a lot of money for that gun????

Thanks for any information you might offer.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Last one I saw at a show was $1200, no box, several years back. Just local pricing, but I imagine NIB condition ones anywhere else would also be up there. Since it's a REAL, pre-Remington, Marlin, it'll probably hold its value. The collectors out there would cringe, but I'd shoot it.

Check several of the auction sites for current pricing.

As to "a lot of money for a .22", you're judging using .22 barn gun pricing. Think more along the lines of Winchester 52, Anschutz or Walther smallbore sporters, that's more the class it's in. Figure out how much you'd have to spend to take a plane-jane used 39 and get the same barrel and wood fitted. You're buying wood and machined steel, not stamped parts and extruded plastic, too.

Stan S.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I realize all this about collector value, but, personally, if I can't (or won't) shoot it, I won't buy it. But then, guns are my hobby, not my business.

Just my .02.

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luisyamaha said:
I realize all this about collector value, but, personally, if I can't (or won't) shoot it, I won't buy it. But then, guns are my hobby, not my business.

Just my .02.

Luisyamaha
Thanks for that. You know, that the position I came to overnight. It would just take up precious room in the safe.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Okay August, time to come clean... Where are all these highly desireable rifles at such cheap prices? First the 1895 LTD III for $539 over in the 45/70 forum and now this 1897 CLTD for $699... Come on now or are you just pulling our legs ;D

-Bob George

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm a little late here, but, August, my remark wasn't to discourage you from buying it. It was to encourage you to shoot it once you did.

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm late to. Guns and knives were made to use. If it were mine I would have to shoot it. Worked with a man back in the early 80's that bought new guns and wouldn't shoot them. Like another one said take your vacation early in the year you might die and loose it. That works for guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts