Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone please explain the difference other than year of manufacture?

·
Registered
258 Posts
To start with the 39M Oct had a 20" barrel vs 24" for the 1897 CB. The M had plain walnut stocks vs checkered for the 97CB. The M had a curved plastic butt pad vs straight for the CB. I am pretty sure that the CB has a shorter forend (like 7" vs 9"). That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Rob

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
To start with the 39M Oct had a 20" barrel vs 24" for the 1897 CB. The M had plain walnut stocks vs checkered for the 97CB. The M had a curved plastic butt pad vs straight for the CB. I am pretty sure that the CB has a shorter forend. That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Rob
CB also has the crossbolt safety, and rebounding hammer. I removed the rebounding hammer on mine, still working on removing the crossbolt safety.

·
Registered
258 Posts
CB also has the crossbolt safety, and rebounding hammer. I removed the rebounding hammer on mine, still working on removing the crossbolt safety.
Wow - good catch I completely spaced on that. It (the CB) also has the rebounding hammer, the chamber relief port and the empty mag indicator. Oops. They are both nice guns.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I believe that the M was only made for one year? The 97 CB was made for 2 years?:biggrin:
Oh... and one more difference...I don't own a 39M Octagon which I want to VERY,VERY much!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeez! Toss a question out there and an encyclopedia shows up :biggrin:. I was over on GB and was just wondering. BTW, they have a 90th anniversary chrome 22 LR up for auction. Item #428736721.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I believe the 39A Octagon and the M Octagon were '73 year Marlins. There were fewer of the M ones made. Seldom see one for sale. I had the 39A Octagon and sold it.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
The last chrome one went for big bucks $$$$$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a new/never fired '73 model 39M Octagon. The owner had bought a quantity of these for investment purposes. Lucky for me, I found out when they went up for sale.

0218131251a.jpg

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sometimes I think the doctor dropped me on my head when I was born. I had a wholesale account with a distributor in Amarillo during the years early '69 through summer of '74. I always liked Mounties and bought one from him. The deal was wholesale (usually 25% off retail) less 10%, and less another 2% for cash within 30 days. The OCTAGONS were in stock, and I should have bought all four. For some reason they did not interest me.

Then about ten years ago, Boss Rancher, my far west Texas mule deer host, decided to hang it up, and the local gun pusher offered $350 for a really nice 1100 and a minty .336. I told him to send them to me, I could find him a better deal. I did not realize his 336 was an OCTAGON, until my sister brought the pair to me. Still I had no interest in either gun and sold both for top money at private treaty. Boss was happy, I was glad to help.

Not long afterward, I caught the fever..........It took a while to find another nice octagon, and even more money to get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts